Status
Not open for further replies.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
They do say even on the package I think that it takes at least 10 minutes to get an accurate reading. After all, you are looking for 1 part in a million parts. Literally measuring for a needle in a haystack.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
my issue is that i only have a small holding tank,no room for a large food grade barrel to hold more,after a day it really jumps up,like 7 or 8 ppm fr about 5 min from a running ppm reading that will bounce from zero and one, and goes into my holding tank

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Not sure if the jump is accurate or just the meter adjusting. Maybe someone has a hand held unit you can use to test afterwards to confirm.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
i have a inline tds meter on my rodi unit    and also a  hanna tds pen... if i full a 5 gal white pail and a 5 gal culligan jug and the 12 gallon water change food grade pail    .its all 0 tds goin into all 3 ..now in 3 days  the 12 gal and 5 gal white pail will read 6 in 2 days  ..the 5 gal culligan will read 0 in 3 days ...in 5 days the culligan will read 0 tds  while the other 2 have shot up to 16 in 5 days

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
c/p frpm reefaddicts.com

So what is TDS creep? When water sits in the membrane housing for a duration, TDS rises as it wicks out of the membrane. The initial 60 to 90 seconds when the system turns on will send this burst of TDS into the DI resin, or into the sump if it was plumbed directly (without a DI stage to pass through first). Each time the RO system turns on, this occurs. When one is plumbed directly to the tank, the constant on / off process day-in and day-out reduces the membrane's lifespan and efficiency.
Does TDS even matter if I'm getting 0 out of the DI stage? My reply would be "How would you like to save some money?" Membranes work best when they run for longer periods of time instead of short bursts. Some LFS (local fish stores) opt to never turn off their water purification systems to maintain the lowest TDS possible from the constancy of water passing through the membrane(s) at a consistent PSI, choosing instead to doing massive water changes in the selling systems to use up any excess water that would otherwise overflow their storage tanks. As hobbyists, we tend to save anywhere we can, including water usage. We care about every drop of water, what filters cost, and how we can avoid being wasteful.

been investigating this in some depth since i changed my membrane and noticed the jump in tds when it first starts up after i take water from my system,

Status
Not open for further replies.