Colonies

Pipes

How does one go about brining in coral colonies? Prior to fragging that is. Just wondering. Someone has to import wild stuff at some point. Is there a company that goes to the reefs to collect it? And oversee that it is being collected in an environmental way?
Or is a case where it is just locals doing smash & grab.:(

Lots of questions but please explain to this nubee.
Thanks

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Well it's only wild speculation on my part. But I assume that people that import colonies for say $1,000 then chop shop them into frags and sell them at stores. The sum of the parts are greater than the whole.

Think of the common marijuana process. Farmer grows it and has bales of the stuff. He can't sell that large quantity for street value a bale would be huge cash and who needs that much dope? So he sells it to a dealer for a fraction of street value.

The dealer then breaks it down into pounds and distributes it to common joes that want to feed their addiction but are willing to spring the substantial amount of cash and can hang onto the extra uproduct until they find buyers.

Us noobs go to these dealers basements or meet in the parking lot of Tim Hortons to get our fix. The common joe names the weed aka frag any fancy name to get our attention. Being noobs we blow through the frags because let's face it 80% of all coral frags bought have to die in our tanks because how the hell can the dealers keep cranking out the product at such a frantic pace?

The way the world works is if you have the balls to put up the capital and take the chances and hustle to push the product and know how to hype the stuff. Then you will make the cheese. The rest of us mice will eat that cheese and thank them for it.

That's why they call it the rat race

Pipes

Please don't tell me there is a corals anonymous. I've been dreaming of reef scaping for the past 2 nights.

Original question though is regarding the importers, I guess. Maybe @BIGSHOW could chip in with how he contacts the "company" that collects, and then ships to him. I'm sure he doesn't go to the LFS and place an order...

Was just curious about the process from collection, to import, to fragging, to us nubees. How is it we end up with these gorgeous animals in our tanks.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Importing can happen in several ways. The majority of LFS cannot justify being the importer, so they will participate in a large scale order called a tranship. (Multiple stores ordering through one company to make 1 large order which the organizing company splits up large order based off individual orders.

You can go one step further and hire a diver. They collect what you want, but the upfront cost is far greater and you can be waiting months while cities are filled and filed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk