Hot Water Heat

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
It's a recirculating system, water is not going down the drain.
Putting the coil in a bag would prolly kill the heat transfer.
I don't think the red pex leaches anything(at least I'm not experiencing anything), it's for hot water systems.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
This goes before the pressure valve by removing the valve, adding a T then adding the valve. Then pumps through the hose and back to the water intake if I understand correctly.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
This is the first time reading this thread pistol. Your system has had a lot of effort and thought put in it. I've seen it in person. Actually kind of scares me...lol. awesome set up that's for sure.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
This goes before the pressure valve by removing the valve, adding a T then adding the valve. Then pumps through the hose and back to the water intake if I understand correctly.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
It goes from the hot water supply to the coil then back to the to the circulating pump then pumped through a check valve and back into the tank, and yes the pressure relief is removed and a tee is installed and the relief is reinstalled into the tee along with the return from the coil. This allows the water to be returned to the lower part of the hot water tank.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Here is a screenshot of my temp, I run a .1 degree differencial but my coil is oversized so my temp actually fluctuates by .4 degrees, I think a smaller coil would alleviate this, I might try it someday. I am in the process of lowering my temp 1 degree.
upload_2016-8-7_15-14-3.png

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
It works great, not a single problem, haven't changed a thing. If I was to change anything it would be the size of the coil, it's a little too big for my system now but should be perfect when I upgrade. Because it's too big it over shoots the temp a bit, I have a .3 degree differential, if sized correctly I could probably maintain a .1 degree differential.

averhoog

I installed the same system on my tank and used half of what he used and has worked flawlessly. I took his advise and went with a smaller coil. Have had installed for prob a tear

Pipes

I'm wanting to do this, but wont have Apex. Any ideas on other controls? Pretty sure a wall mount thermostat wont work...

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
I have a reef keeper lite that I'm
Going to use for this. I've maxed out my Budget right now
For My build , but down the road I'll get an apex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hark

I was reading a thread on reefcentral from someone that did something similar a few years back, lots of discussion on the possibility of legionaires disease with stagnant water in the lines making it back into the drinking water source. Now don't get me wrong, I don't drink hot water but I do on occasion get shower water in the mouth so the possibility of contamination is there - albeit a very, very, very low chance. Just wondering if anyone has gone with a similar system but used two pumps and the heat exchanger instead of returning the water directly to the hot water tank (at least the loop of water, I understand the short loop to the heat exchanger would still return to the tank).

I am going to guess in our climate this is a non issue as most tank heaters still come on in the summer - I know mine will s my tank is in my basement and my house is ICF built so its well insulated (and freezing when the air conditioner is on), but wanted to check if anyone went the dual pump route.

I will likely just go the direct to tank option and include a drain line so that maybe once or twice in the summer if by chance my tank heat doesn't come on I can quickly run water through the lines and just drain it out into the floor drain....

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1978224&highlight=hot+water+tank

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
My tank is in the basement as well and the pump runs daily, if you have an aquarium controller you could set it to run the pump for 10 seconds a day to keep the water moving in the line without adding any significant amount of heat to your system.