Is It Really Worth It?

Pipes

As a newbee, I'm looking at prices of livestock. Corals actually. I see all kinds for $20 - $50. and then some for $120 - $180. Is this truly what a tiny little ( 1" tall) creature is worth? I can see paying that kind of money for a used tank, but a little piece of fluffy rock that may just die on the way home...

So here's the poll...

What is the most you have ever paid for a frag. Please add name and size for context.
Thanks

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
This is a very largely debated subject. Basically it boils down to what someone likes mixed with supply and demand. Some pieces are extremely rare and costs hundreds to even get into the country as a small colony. Much like everything else out there, it is up to the individuals taste on if it is worth it. Cars, toys, dogs, houses, boats, hookers...there are huge price differences, just depends on finances and desires. Those pieces are also typically very slow growers, so the person holds onto them for a long time after fragging. Also, several 'basement fraggers' are trying to match with only a slightly lower price then retailers despite the lesser overhead. But that is a whole other discussion. (IIRC there is a thread already out there and Big Als had a great write up in it).

Have I ever spent $300 on a pinky nail size frag...no. Would I...maybe some day. The most expensive I have purchased are my black torches from Big Show Frags, the green tip was $100/frag (at London Frag Fest) and my orange goes for $150 a frag (I bought it as a colony for a lot more).

kapelan

the key of this topic:"As a newbee, I'm looking at prices of livestock."
Be ready to have a tank crash - that means everything or 50% you bought will dye.
So the real question is: how much are you ready to loose?
When the tank is established and every purchased coral is surviving -then it is time to think about 200-300$ frags.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
There's an old game that we nerds used to play comparing Bill Gates income and net worth to an average person...at his peak, if Bill spent $250000 it would have the same impact on him as an a average person spending $2. You buy a girl a rose....he buys her a Ferrari......

There are markets out there in every product for things at every price point...the world of reefing is just small enough that we all rub elbows in the same places. When you wash your car or take it to Canadian tire for a wash you don't have to see that there are services out there that charge 5 figures (yes I am serious) for a wash and detail that some people happily pay...

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
This is only my opinion, in any hobby you start put cheap and then with experience and knowledge you get more expensive stuff. Especially livestock. Speaking from experience, I've killed $$$ of frags.

Not always but with experience you can buy a expensive frag and be confident to grow it out and then share it with others.

I think of it this way. The fragile frags should be triple their current price to make it so only those can care for them purchase them. If more pets like dogs,cats cost $1,000 or more then people wouldn't be filling up the shelters and breeding them with wild abandon, or noobs like me filling buckets with dead coral skeletons. :(

$120 torch, still alive months later

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Everyone has made great points and I definitely agree. It's all about what your willing to spend on your hobby. I had a "discussion "o_Oo_O a while back where somone was upset on what some where charging for coral. All industries or hobbies are the same. Low end cars or fast high end machines. At the end of the day we all enjoy what we do . I've got two great hobbies, a great family, a job, and hopefully a new business venture on the way. Enjoy where and what ya can with what you have:)

Nick James

I think my most expensive to date was $80 on a Jason Fox Jack O Lantern Lepto the size of a pinky finger nail :) now it's the size of a thumbnail!