Help Me Choose My Next Skimmer

hark

I run a swc 200 right now which does a great job and produces really stinky results, but I want to max my bioload in my tank so I want to up the skimmer ante.

I have about 1500 I could spend on a skimmer that needs to fit in my sump among my other hardware.

Sell me on which one to get and why, your experience with it, etc. Just because you spend more doesn't mean you get more so while I have a decent budget doesn't mean I want to spend it all.

I want to build another tank dedicated to palys and zoos next :)

Pipes

A lot of people are Reef Octopus fanatics.... I have a Reef Octopus 2000. Just not up and running yet. But soon.

reef keeper

Super Active Member
Lifereef. I have a 220 sps with a 125 sump. The big advantage is you can use whatever pump you want, and if you go bigger tank wise, just add an extension. Never obsolete. I'd grab that one on AP. That's a steal.

Skim

This what I would get. The Skimmer also comes in Space Saver model in needed.
200 Gal. Heavy load and 400 Light Load.

REGAL-200INT.JPG

octopus-neck-cleaner-skimmer.jpg

aso_collectioncontainer_1.jpg

I have the Regal 170 SSS and love it. The pump is dead quiet and they draw massive amounts of air. I have this same setup and works great, the clear with double sided Squeegee is a bonus and even this thing is dead quiet. The Waste Collector has saved me a few times now with the auto shut-off nice with the Carbon cup for the stink and has a 5 min. delay for start up if the power goes out it lets the sump and tank to get going normally before Skimmer kicks in.
The other nice thing is you can do this for under $1300.00 including tax.
Just my 2 cents.

reef keeper

Super Active Member
The thing is with needle wheels is when the pump goes, you may end up needing an entire new skimmer if you can't find a replacement. I had a Reef octopus on my 150, and when I changed to the Lifereef, the difference was unbelievable.

I also have the choice of internal or external pumps, and can change pumps ( which is what I'm going to do soon) if things change. Or a bigger tank comes along etc.

I also don't need to run gfo, biopellets or anything else. PLUS, if you end up doing zeovit, the Venturi skimmers is what is recommended. Plus, it's made in North America.

Nighthawk26

I had one on my previous tank. Im sure it was mine but I had a heck of a time dialing it in.
Trouble dialing in a LifeReef? That makes no sense. There is no easier skimmer to dial in. In a segment of the market that is filled with so many opinions, and frankly BS with marketing nonsense, that is one unit you will find virtually no varying opinion on. Other than they can be expensive here in Canada when the dollar isn't great.