Red Slime

KingTang

So, I'm stumped.

Just set up a new 125 gallon tank, all new water, all new sand, and used live rock from old tank. Noticed on day 1 of new set up that one of the rocks still had some red slime. Manually removed it and shut the lights off for 2 days. Turn lights back on and everything is gone! YEAAAAH. Later on in the day I go to check tank and red slime on the rock again.

So how do I get rid of this slime? It makes no sense because the water has NO nutrients right now because it's all new water, all new sand and no fish in it yet or feedings. Makes no sense.

Any suggestions?

KingTang

To add more information. I used RO water, and also bought two extra powerbeads for the tank and pointed one of them directly like 2 inches away from the rock that has red slime and that didn't help. This makes me question everything I've read about Red Slime

kapelan

cyano is the result of light+nitrates.
one-two weeks without light will kill it (the best result - completely cover the tank ).
once light is back - algae back to the tank.

KingTang

Tank shouldn't have nitrates, no fish, nothing in it. Tank is new with old live rock from older tank. There is only 2 pieces of live rock that have it and they had it in the old tank. I think my solution is to remove those two pieces, put it back in the old tank and chemically treat it, and place the rock back in new tank.

kapelan

nitrates/phosphates and other elements always will be in the water.
Simple example: from one rock it was only one worm. After you put it to RO water - it died or still alive.
Anyway one warm produce some nitrites - immediately this food converted to nitrates and immediately found somebody who want to eat it.
That called balance of the system :
- when waist produced by one is used by other organism.
In this case algae is fast enough to use it.

heath

Distinguished Member
I'm pretty sure that we have all had when setting up a new tank... I did and mine passed...I've heard it called new tank syndrome...

KingTang

Odd thing is, I just posted this about 2 hours ago. I turned off lights when I posted this. I just went back to the tank, turned on the lights real quick and red slime is gone. Going to try chemiclean in old tank and transfer rock. Thanks Pistol

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Cyano is not nutrient dependant...it can alter it's metabolic processes to both fix nitrogen and utilize bound phosphorus although these activities are energy intensive. In a new tank it will always bloom before other bacteria and algae can gain a foothold and out compete it.

Some patience and other species will establish a balance and overtake it...if it blooms in an established system chemiclean (an antibiotic) can help tip the balance and allow competing species a fighting chance to catch up or at times it can further disrupt the balance and make the Cyano come back even worse...

Remember Cyano is everywhere...it is the reason that Polar bears in the zoo have dirty brownish stains...(Cyano grows in their hollow hairs in warmer weather...)

Skim

It should go away after some time as long as you keep an eye on your Nutrients. I find that fascinating, lights out it disappears, lights on and you can sit and see appearing. Anyhow back to the basics you are using old rock you say so, no doubt that is where it is getting its source of food. Water changes, if like you say levels are low then do small changes, and add some GFO and Carbon to help the Skimmer to remove Organics. Don't forget new substrate will have some Phosphate and Silicate in it will add to it.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Odd thing is, I just posted this about 2 hours ago. I turned off lights when I posted this. I just went back to the tank, turned on the lights real quick and red slime is gone. Going to try chemiclean in old tank and transfer rock. Thanks Pistol
Just follow the instructions to the letter, keep a couple air stone running or take the cup off your skimmer and let it overflow, it will take about 4 days before your skimmer settles down, run carbon after 24 hrs.

reef keeper

Super Active Member
It comes with a new tank. I had it in my frag tank really badly. Increased the flow a bit, but it didn't go away until I changed from brightwells salt. It was gone completely in one day.