Nicks 29g Coralife Biocube

Nick James

Well I would say I upset the apple cart today but I think it's more likely I blew up the apple cart and set it on fire.

It started with a water change. Than, I said "dammit, there are a couple more bryopsis on that rock". I decided instead of my paste under water, I would remove the rock and put peroxide directly on the bryopsis spot out of the water, to really kill those devil sprouts. When I did that, a rock from underneath fell. Then I couldn't get the rocks back in how they were. So I decided I am taking the damn bryopsis rock out. It's the only rock I have ever seen it on so now it's gone. Had to rearrange the top couple rocks a bit, broke my chalice removing it be it was so encrusted to the rock. Accidentally broke a small twig off my lemonade, so I glued it to a peice of rubble to see what happens. Glued a nickle size peice of chalice to a gray plug. Moved frags around glued them down and now everyone inside is mad.

I apologized with some reef roids and everybody's polyps were back out and smiling.

Nick James

Some pictures of my new acquisitions...

image_zpszring8gq.jpeg

image_zpsdfq2mmfp.jpeg

image_zps6d292xqf.jpeg

image_zps0uzrkjxz.jpeg

image_zpspt201nfk.jpeg

Last edited:

Nick James

Some more pics of my older frags..

Pink Matrix and Cali Tort

image_zpsszsnrion.jpeg

Tubbs Stellatta growing quickly..

image_zpsrvwpfdwj.jpeg

Yakuza

image_zps3jrrsssh.jpeg

This one is starting to look nice, got it at fragfest and it lost its colour for a while.

image_zps8yuadlsn.jpeg

Last edited:

Canadianeh

Drumroll please...

.. Just playing with the settings to make sure I have everything working the way I want it to before I replace my current hood. This is Steve's LED retro kit, I picked it up yesterday already installed in another hood.

I am going to start with it at 25% power with a two hour ramp up for each blue and white LEDs. Blue will be on from 1000-2200. And white from 1200-2000. So it will get peak lighting from 1400-1800 with the slow fade in for the two hours before and after. I will increase the intensity of the light after a week and maybe do 1% a day until I find that magic %. I'll have to relocat and lower/ shade a couple things. Any thoughts on this? Am I being too cautious? Not enough?
where to buy this Steve's LED? Bigals is selling the biocube 29 for $300 including the stand but it only comes with FL bulb not LED. Steve's LED easy to install on the stock hood?

Nick James

It is $349 at Steve led for biocube 29 LED upgrade. Might be better just to get biocube 32 and the stand. The total cost will be the same

If you are not worried about photosynthetic corals then the biocube 32 LEDs will do just fine! If you want sps or light hungry coral than you need to upgrade either way. Many ways to skin the cat but they all add up to $$$

Nick James

tank is looking awesome Nick, maybe I need to come and raid it...lol...

Thanks! I actually have a few frags now that I am giving to family members. Few months down the road I'll have some more no doubt!

This is from today with my new corals placed and my ugly egg crate rack temporarily in until these frags move out.

image_zpsxjrk0ph2.jpeg

And my urchin wearing his new hat...

image_zpspjspihfl.jpeg

Last edited:

Nick James

nice biocube! got mine this week! i upgraded my lights to AI Prime, got another one for sale if interested

I have Steve's LEDs under the hood. I do wish it had better spread. Would be cool if you could fit 2-4 t5s under there as well..

Nick James

So.... I am going to start off by saying, my tank is doing well. Corals are growing, colouring up, polyps extending, etc...

BUT... I am pretty sure I have red bugs now.

The frag that seems to have the most bugs on it has full PE and is quite a fuzzy Acro. It doesn't seem bothered by the bugs on it. I originally first observed a little red bug run across a smooth skin Acro. Prior to that, I have never seen any.

I have dipped everything in CoralRX and have never observed red bugs on anything during my dipping process.

So, now I have a thought in my head. And I'd love some opinions.

I am building up equipment for a large build. Realistically, it probably won't be ready for inhabitants until summer 2017.

Option 1) leave my biocube as is and keep observing, until I have the large system ready. Then set up a coral QT, treating each frag for a month or two until I am certain they are pest free before moving to their "forever home".

Option 2) set up a small frag tank/coral qt right away. Move corals (all sps) into frag/qt set up and treat. Tear down and sell biocube, leaving frags in frag set up.

Option 2 would mean selling my peppermint shrimps, urchin and two brachiosaurus blennies and moving my snails into the frag tank.

Option 2 would also mean more money to get equipment for the large set up, sooner.

I wouldn't re use my rock from the biocube without an acid bath due to various algae and pest.