Testing Your Tank

Janice

Hi All : I am a newbie with a 32 gallon LED Coraline Biocube. Do I need an API Master Reef Test Kit, or only the saltwater test kit? I have a couple of anemones and some acan and other frags (very small!!)Heading down to the US this weekend and stuff is such cheaper there-even with the exchange rate!! Thanks,

Nighthawk26

Don't rely much on API test kits. General consensus will say to stick with Salifert. Reasonable price easy to use and read, and quite accurate. Alk and Cal and Mag would be ones you would want to have, and perhaps Nitrate.

Dingets

I'm a Red Sea fan, little bit more expensive up front but reagent refills are cheaper in long run. Cal/alk are important. Magnesium eventually, but it depletes very slowly and if you have a good water change schedule you'll likely never be deficient in it. The rest are "nice to haves", like phosphate and nitrates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joshbrookkate

In my opinion,
Must have tests are - Alkalinity (Salifert), Calcium (Red Sea), salinity (refractometer not hydrometer).
Should have tests are - nitrates ( Salifert), phosphates (Hanna Checker), magnesium (Red Sea).
The brands I use are in brackets.
I don't test Mag very often, once Alk and Cal levels got stabilized. That's one test kit you could borrow from someone when you want to check the levels.

I regret not focusing on great water quality and stability right from the start. Everything comes together easier after you "master" this.

I am no expert but I wanted to help you decide what to get. And to let you know how important testing is to long term success.
Michelle

dale

after cycling, and with no sps, nitrate ( red sea or salifert) is what you will test for the most.. until you start doing things to change the parameters like reactors and dosing.. those tests will just worry you,, a good water change schedule will keep things in check.. the oncoming of algae will inspire you to get reactors n stuff, the strive for perfection will dictate monitoring all your parameters and dosing... algae = phosphate.. lots of hard corals = monitoring all parameters.. just my opinion to keep it simple for a while... a refractometer is very helpful too.

Canadianeh

Hi All : I am a newbie with a 32 gallon LED Coraline Biocube. Do I need an API Master Reef Test Kit, or only the saltwater test kit? I have a couple of anemones and some acan and other frags (very small!!)Heading down to the US this weekend and stuff is such cheaper there-even with the exchange rate!! Thanks,

Are you heading to Buffalo? Which stores? I believe you need some kind of paperwork to bring livestock (corals, and etc) into Canada, no?

Dingets

I buy all of my fish in Cheektawaga. Tell the customs guys every time and have never been looked at twice.

Dingets

I'm 30mins from the border. I shop Craigslist for corals and buy fish at The Fish Place. I haven't hooked up with anyone yet to buy any frags.... there prices are the same as ours without the exchange. As near as I can tell, customs is concerned about invasive species, saltwater fish don't fall into that category given the lack of saltwater. Just my experience . Maybe I've just gotten supper lenient customs guys?