Any Rc Fans Around

What RC do you enjoy most

• Total voters

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Brushless for me, nitro has to many possible "fixes" overtime, first day I had my drone I lost it in the corn field,lmao, took me half the day, row by row, finally found it though:)

What do you mean my nitro is 6 years old and running like a champ. Just upper a-arms can't handle a 20' drop so well lmao. I have tried to break it but it just keeps going until I bend or break an a-arm and the dog one falls out lol. You must have got a traxxas as lmfao :D

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Syma X8

Best $100 drone you can get. Tons of parts available for it too (ie: replacement shell $18.00 motors, $14, props $3.00 )

https://www.amazon.ca/Syma-X8C-Vent...e=UTF8&qid=1487341462&sr=8-6&keywords=syma+x8

No fpv tho so garbage in my books lol I like the choice of having fpv or not. And mine was only $40 and came with 4 spare blades and two spare protectors. If I were to get another drone it would be for a 5.6ghz racing drone. I'm not a fan of the whole taking pretty pictures and slowly moving around. I want to fly between trees like a pod racer going 100km/h so the fpv feels like 300km/h lol :D :D I watched a ton of YouTube reviews for so many different ones and I settled the 777 was easiest to fly, most durable and fpv under $100. I'm not a fan of syma at all they are notorious for parts failures. That's why they have so many parts available ;) Not too mention being over a pound you have to follow regulations and no fly zones. My only restriction is airports :)

4Hummer

FPV is overrated on a stater drone. (IMHO) Learn to fly first, then invest in a decent FPV system. Most cheap FPV Drones use a WIFI connection running the same frequency as the Controller and cause all sorts of communication problems. and use the Phone/Tablet as display

Easy enough to add a decent FPV Camera and transmitter to the SYMA Drone after

Like this all in one Camera (5.8 gig 72 Channel) $26.00
http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-TX0...3-Cmos-FPV-Camera-p-1104884.html?rmmds=search

And these Googles $66 (If your looking for Cheap. There are better)
http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-VR-..._4V-800mAh-Battery-p-960761.html?rmmds=search

Or add a tiny camera into the Body, and a Transmitter for a seamless install.
Like: $10.00
http://www.banggood.com/600TVL-8_0M...ens-Camera-PALNTSC-p-984345.html?rmmds=search
And: $15.00
http://www.banggood.com/TS5828L-Mic...h-Digital-Display-p-1058136.html?rmmds=search

The above combination will give you TRUE FPV not WIFI to your Phone

The Syma is capable of carrying a GoPro Camera, so can easily accommodate these mods after. And Plenty of room in the shell to Mod the heck out of this drone too. (GPS, ect)

My current Syma X8 build (Done a few as the Shells are Cheap and look like the DJI Phantom 3's) Will be using brushless Motors,BLHeli ECS's, Running a NAZE 32 Full flight computer, with GPS, and FPV Going to try the iNAV software to flash the NAZE 32, over Baseflight or clean Flight. as iNav is supposed to be GPS enhanced.

Another Kick ass Drone if you want to build one yourself (I built this last year) is the RoboCat 270mm Racer Drone. $120.00 Just add your own Transmitter and Receiver.

Really gets you into the world of Building your own Drones. (And looks pretty kick ass... I may build another) Not a starter drone to learn to fly, as it fast and nibble (Better off smashing up the Syma X8 first)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Robocat-270-...608903?hash=item1a091657c7:g:fhwAAOSwcUBYU7Qx

a7994312-54-68c9e24d0d1ba7a4.jpg

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
FPV is overrated on a stater drone. (IMHO) Learn to fly first, then invest in a decent FPV system. Most cheap FPV Drones use a WIFI connection running the same frequency as the Controller and cause all sorts of communication problems. and use the Phone/Tablet as display

Easy enough to add a decent FPV Camera and transmitter to the SYMA Drone after

Like this all in one Camera (5.8 gig 72 Channel) $26.00
http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-TX0...3-Cmos-FPV-Camera-p-1104884.html?rmmds=search

And these Googles $66 (If your looking for Cheap. There are better)
http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-VR-..._4V-800mAh-Battery-p-960761.html?rmmds=search

Or add a tiny camera into the Body, and a Transmitter for a seamless install.
Like: $10.00
http://www.banggood.com/600TVL-8_0M...ens-Camera-PALNTSC-p-984345.html?rmmds=search
And: $15.00
http://www.banggood.com/TS5828L-Mic...h-Digital-Display-p-1058136.html?rmmds=search

The above combination will give you TRUE FPV not WIFI to your Phone

The Syma is capable of carrying a GoPro Camera, so can easily accommodate these mods after. And Plenty of room in the shell to Mod the heck out of this drone too. (GPS, ect)

My current Syma X8 build (Done a few as the Shells are Cheap and look like the DJI Phantom 3's) Will be using brushless Motors,BLHeli ECS's, Running a NAZE 32 Full flight computer, with GPS, and FPV Going to try the iNAV software to flash the NAZE 32, over Baseflight or clean Flight. as iNav is supposed to be GPS enhanced.

Another Kick ass Drone if you want to build one yourself (I built this last year) is the RoboCat 270mm Racer Drone. $120.00 Just add your own Transmitter and Receiver.

Really gets you into the world of Building your own Drones. (And looks pretty kick ass... I may build another) Not a starter drone to learn to fly, as it fast and nibble (Better off smashing up the Syma X8 first)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Robocat-270-...608903?hash=item1a091657c7:g:fhwAAOSwcUBYU7Qx

a7994312-54-68c9e24d0d1ba7a4.jpg

With a 25 ft range the wifi works great so am more than pleased. Its nice to learn on something that doesnt hover or have any bells pr whistles except headless that i never use and going great now. Fpv just makes it more fun for me personnally. Like i said next one will be a racing drone. Im not into the whole drone photography aspect and syma is too big to fly inside. The main part is i can fly mine in the city or in public parks being under 1lb syma will be me getting a fine or having to drive .besides around the house is more than enough space for this little thing. It will be a long while before i can buy a better one if i ever do (prob not) and for the price i dont care what happens to it. If i were to buy a syma i would be better off building one myself which would be alot better. Oh syma8 is even cheaper on gearbest. ILL NEVER SHOP BANGGOOD AGAIN THEY LOST ALL 3 PACKAGES. Just pathetic for a company if you ask me.

And besides flying on fpv is even harder so really makes it more fun and difficult. Not to mention 5 feet away it's hard to see hahaha if I spent $100+ I would just build my own.

In the end that would have me on the couch for the night where as this the wife is flying and crashing without worries of anything breaking or money going down the tube on parts every crash.

Last edited:

4Hummer

With a 25 ft range the wifi works great so am more than pleased. Its nice to learn on something that doesnt hover or have any bells pr whistles except headless that i never use and going great now. Fpv just makes it more fun for me personnally. Like i said next one will be a racing drone. Im not into the whole drone photography aspect and syma is too big to fly inside. The main part is i can fly mine in the city or in public parks being under 1lb syma will be me getting a fine or having to drive .besides around the house is more than enough space for this little thing. It will be a long while before i can buy a better one if i ever do (prob not) and for the price i dont care what happens to it. If i were to buy a syma i would be better off building one myself which would be alot better. Oh syma8 is even cheaper on gearbest. ILL NEVER SHOP BANGGOOD AGAIN THEY LOST ALL 3 PACKAGES. Just pathetic for a company if you ask me.

100% Agree, Less features the Better for the First time user. Headless is great if you loose orientation and the drone is far away. WOW Didn't realize how TINY that drone is you have, Never mind for an indoor toy that unit is PERFECT.

The X8 is 1.2lbs so haven't had an issue flying it in parks and my backyard (Just don't piss people off and fly at stupid heights, and you should be fine) I think it's the perfect learner for Full sized quads, Mainly because of the lack off features and the abundance of parts for it (Face it your gonna crash and break shit)

And Banggood is hit an miss. Sometimes I get things in a couple weeks, Other times MONTHS, and MONTHS.

I am actually a Pilot (Ultralight class) The plan with my next build is to make a cheap Follow me Drone so I can get some good flying Video's,

Last edited:

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
100% Agree, Less features the Better for the First time user. Headless is great if you loose orientation and the drone is far away. WOW Didn't realize how TINY that drone is you have, Never mind for an indoor toy that unit is PERFECT.

The X8 is 1.2lbs so haven't had an issue flying it in parks and my backyard (Just don't piss people off and fly at stupid heights, and you should be fine) I think it's the perfect learner for Full sized quads, Mainly because of the lack off features and the abundance of parts for it (Face it your gonna crash and break shit)

And Banggood is hit an miss. Sometimes I get things in a couple weeks, Other times MONTHS, and MONTHS.

I am actually a Pilot (Ultralight class) The plan with my next build is to make a cheap Follow me Drone so I can get some good flying Video's,

Play in HD, Full screen, and crank the volume =)

There's a GoPro gimbal you can attach to pretty much any drone and it points at you using your phones wifi signal as a tracker :) no matter where you fly cam stays on you. Buddy at the skate park had one he pre programmed flight path turned on tracker and skated his routine with drone following by itself. Now it was an expensive drone but he had his own film crew pretty well. Was neat to see and he got the gimbal off eBay cheap.

Just keep rubbing that ultralight in why don't ya lmao. I remember going up in a little trainer plane with the bubble dome with my old boss and wow does the wind blow you around lol it's better than a roller coaster.

And ya it's tiny for a drone with no blade protectors it's only 2" arm tip to arm tip and 3/4" high lmfao but still need protectors that's for sure. Once I get them off I should gain a min or two flight time. Not bad tho 3-5 min charge for 20-30 then rip again.

4Hummer

There's a GoPro gimbal you can attach to pretty much any drone and it points at you using your phones wifi signal as a tracker :) no matter where you fly cam stays on you. Buddy at the skate park had one he pre programmed flight path turned on tracker and skated his routine with drone following by itself. Now it was an expensive drone but he had his own film crew pretty well. Was neat to see and he got the gimbal off eBay cheap.

Just keep rubbing that ultralight in why don't ya lmao. I remember going up in a little trainer plane with the bubble dome with my old boss and wow does the wind blow you around lol it's better than a roller coaster.

That's the plan, Only DIY because I'm cheap.

To cold to fly right now. So All I have are Flying Videos to tide me over. It's so bad I sit in my aircraft seat in the Garage and make Vroom Vroom Noises !
Thank god for the Reef or I'd be going nutty

Anyway should get some work done.... dum di dum

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
That's the plan, Only DIY because I'm cheap.

To cold to fly right now. So All I have are Flying Videos to tide me over. It's so bad I sit in my aircraft seat in the Garage and make Vroom Vroom Noises !
Thank god for the Reef or I'd be going nutty

Anyway should get some work done.... dum di dum

Hey nothing wrong with being cheap lmao I am too it saves the extinct pennies and DIY projects keep me out of the wife's hair for a while and out of trouble.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I have a Propel Atom Nano Drone and love it for what it is. Nothing fancy on it at all. No special features other then 360 flip. Kids always coming running when they hear it. They like it when I land and take off in their hand. Cats like to launch of chairs to swat it out of the sky. I have about 45 sets of replacement blades for it.

125192599eccd290295b827606364526.jpg

Right now I am debating on a DIY drone or a DJI 3. They would cost about the same. I will probably pick up some mid size ones as well just to play with.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Tormenting the cat

Hahaha that's awesome. My guy only grabbed it once then yelped and now barks inches away lmao. Funny seeing a 100lb dog running from a tiny toy haha. I like that your props are three blades mine are only two. It came with 2 spare prop guards and a full set of replacement blades but guards seem to be saving my props very well :).

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Hahaha that's awesome. My guy only grabbed it once then yelped and now barks inches away lmao. Funny seeing a 100lb dog running from a tiny toy haha. I like that your props are three blades mine are only two. It came with 2 spare prop guards and a full set of replacement blades but guards seem to be saving my props very well :).
Mine didn't come with any extras. I purchased a bumper for it and a crap load of blades on amazon. I can drop a couple 3 prop in the mail for you if you want to try them out. Pretty sure they are mostly interchangeable.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
There is one on Kijiji here for $200. I hope it is still there when I get paid next.

They were 99-149 boxing week at shoppers and superstore. Seem to be sold out other then Amazon. (Most likely due to the new bebop 2)

Cool little machine. I'll try to get a video up soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Mine didn't come with any extras. I purchased a bumper for it and a crap load of blades on amazon. I can drop a couple 3 prop in the mail for you if you want to try them out. Pretty sure they are mostly interchangeable.

Bring em to the show. We can get an aerial walk through befordoors open lmao