Qt Help

Wagonpitt

when i started my qt i didnt have a properly seeded sponge filter for filtration. I used some bottled bacteria but still get amonia reading after 2-3 days. I did water change to keep it at 0 but I want to start prazi treatment but it needs to last 5-7 days so that means i wont be able to do waterchange. If i fill about 2 cups sand from my dt sandbed and put in my qt would this be enough filtration to keep amonia down for approx a week. Its 15gal qt.

Thanks in advance

Wagonpitt

Or can i just get some liverock and put in there for filteation. I realize i cant use liverock after in dt but id rather throw out live rock then throw out dead fish.

Wagonpitt

I also plan on using cupramine after prazipro and i think seachem prime and copper cant mix or its more toxic.

More info
Basically i have tang in qt for last 3 days. My plan is 7days prazi, water change, 14 days cupramine and prazi together, water change, observe couple days.

First day was eating spirulina brine and now eats nori and newlife spectrum pellets aswell.

This is my first time qt any fish. I have fish in dt and so far ive been lucky i think and never seen any signs of any issues but doesnt mean theyr not there.

This being my first tang, i wanted to qt since they are more difficult then anything i have so far and more susceptible to disease/parasites from what i know. I know it doesnt garantee that it wont get sick from something in dt but atleast ill know im not introducing anything new to dt from now on.

Thanks for input though

Can i use the liverock or livesand and which would be better ?
I read prazi isnt bad if slightly overdosed so recomended for 20g is 1tsp. I have a 15gal qt but will still use the dose for 20gal that way it will still be strong enough even if rock absorbs some.
And for the curpamine ill have a copper test to make sure it stays at right level.

Thanks again for any help.

Quartapound

if your ammonia levels are getting really bad in the QT, I'd do a waterchange ASAP. if you replace half the water, re-'dose' half of your meds (prazipro).

I've successfully done QT with no bio-filter, but I had to do frequent waterchanges and I fed sparingly.

Wagonpitt

Lemonpeel mimic tang/ chocolate tang

Ive read about chloroquin but already have the cupramine so i think im going to stick with it. My amonia is Fine for now just worrying for when i start treatment. On prazi bottle it says 3 days between treatments and one treatment lasts 5-7 days. Based on that i cant do waterchange every 2 days like i should inorder to keep amonia down. Maby theres something i dont know but thats what it says on bottle.

I appreciate the recomendations but no one has answered my actuall question of can i just use the live rock or sand for biofiltration.

Based on everything ive read its ok, just rock will be unusable in dt. I dont think there is any other negative effect. Was just looking for confirmation.

Im just going to put some rock from my sump in my qt and use that as bio filtration. Ill throw it out after.

Thanks

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Live rock and or sand we be fine with the prazi (rock would not be contaminated long term afterwards either) however any calcium carbonate substances are not useable with any copper treatments as they will bond to the substrate and be rendered ineffective.

Quartapound

Using rock from your sump should work, in theory, but nobody can say if you'll be okay or not to rely on a chunk of liverock to denitrify and avoid any ammonia spikes, because there's too many variables. I'd still test frequently or use one of those ammonia indicators.
And like you said, don't use the rock in the DT again after.

It's also possible that if the meds you're using end up killing something in the rock and have a detrimental effect which would be counterproductive

Just playing devil's advocate

I'd test frequently and be ready for a waterchange if necessary

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Wagonpitt

Thanks. i have the ammonia sticker on there for when im passing by but also test daily with seachem test. I have 6.5 gallon premixed incase anything goes wrong, thats about 50% and i can take from my dt if i have to.

LIttle Reef Keeper

Website
www.facebook.com
Rock should not be used in QT mainly because it can absorb the medication you are treating with. Water should also not be taken and used from the DT unless you are 100% sure it is parasite free. If you already have marine ich in the tank, there's no reason to be quarantining as you will be constantly introducing the parasite. Best to make new water for water changes unless you have quarantined every living thing that has went into your DT.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk