Somewhat Odd Issue

Njord

Ok so for fun I picked up a frag with some mystery zoanthids on it. Cost me peanuts, picked them up early so I figured them being open about 20-30% was expected at this time of day.

My tank stats are
Am-0
N-0
N-0
P-0
Ca 450
Mg ~1350 ( I don't want to recheck)

Flow is about mid- to low , I tried more and that really didn't help... I have played with the lights to no end.

I also have a war coral that someone got that was shipped poorly in that tank, it is improving very fast. I was assuming it would die. Sorry no pictures at the moment.

It was dipped in Coral Rx, and seachem coral, them a 1 min freshwater dip... I got 2 small bristle worms off it went over it very quickly visually outside of tank.

Acclimated : 20 temp ( bag in water) then super slow drip and drain over 3 hours
It is in a mid- low flow area, and mid- low light (~100 par based on prior readings)

Yes I have run charcoal, and a 10% water change...

This is the reason I don't like Zoanthids.. picky for no reason... Does anyone think I may have missed something ?

War coral is doing much better, Zoanthids not so much... Maybe I should have left them alone ?

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Dipping corals in FW is a bad practice! Some Zoas will tolerate it as some are also tolerant of long term air exposure as well but generally most pests are more tolerant of FW than most corals. The only possible exception would be as a last resort for LPS that are infected with brown jelly and are virtually doomed otherwise...and even so there are more desirable alternatives for treatment.

NEC

If your stats are really 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate then that is one of your problems. Zoas like some nutrients in water. Start feeding more heavily to increase nitrates and this and see if this helps them.

Do you feed them as well?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
FWIW...I think that all of the guys who grow and frag stuff will agree that with all types of corals, from shrooms to SPS, some you can cut and they are opening back up before you have finished gluing them down and others will sulk for a week after you move them to a new spot on the frag rack...if the tank is healthy all it usually takes some time to acclimate to changes.

Josh

I just had a set of my zoanthids finally start opening properly, took a full week and a half. Just be patient, always start them low and see if they reach tho.

Josh

I just had a set of my zoanthids finally start opening properly, took a full week and a half. Just be patient, always start them low and see if they reach tho.

SamB

Super Active Member
Zoas can react poorly to "rapid" changes in their light intensity, light duration, flow and location - try to replicate the conditions from the tank that they came from as closely as you can and after that I would allow some time to acclimate
I have had zoas stay closed or partially closed for weeks (yup) after they have moved to my tank

Njord

If your stats are really 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate then that is one of your problems. Zoas like some nutrients in water. Start feeding more heavily to increase nitrates and this and see if this helps them.

Do you feed them as well?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

At the moment no feeding because they won't open enough, I'm iffy on the FW dipping it is a risk but I reserve for soft coral only and try to keep it very quick more of a rinse then anything.

I've read Zoanthids can be picky about opening, I will post if/ when they open.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
When lights are out, take a real good look. Maybe you have nudi's and do not know it. they camouflage in the zoas but will stop them from opening. Also, some fish nip at them in the wee hours. One of my hippos was nipping at my zoas, I lost a lot before I found out who/what it was.

Steve Peters

+1 on zoas sometimes taking weeks to open properly. I keep about 30 different kinds and they are all different in temperament. Some open immediately... some waste away for no reason..... I find its best to place low in tank and forget about them. Moving them around only worsens the issue.