Ghl Vs. Apex? The People Have Spoken..

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
We will fix the glitch in the site. However you can order whatever colour you want and we will refund the difference.

The older LX6 modules need the pwm-plc card

Last edited:

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
So I am working with bigshowfrags currently and things are looking promising on the upgrade. This weekend I did come across some info that was not covered above, the Profilux Mini. If people are looking for something comparable to the Apex Jr, you can get the Mini and a 5.1 power bar and you will be rocking. The Mini and 5.1 power bar is more then the stand alone Apex Jr but comes with the addition of 2 more power outlets, pH and variable speed ports built in. When you add the needed modules to the Jr to be comparable to the Mini, you end up at the same price point for the Mini w/ 5.1 power bar as you would with the Jr with VDM, PM1, and pH probe without all the extra cords and module clutter. Everyone I have met or read about said they upgraded from the Jr to Apex Classic as it was missing those things. For people not looking to do a large tank controller build like me, check out the Mini and add a power bar. Just putting something else into the suggestion box for people looking for a lower price controller with all the options still.

Apex Jr $323.93
VDM $134.93
PM1 $114.68
pH probe $101.18
Total: $583.72

Profilux Mini $299
5.1 power bar$296.87
Total: $595.87

*Reefsupplies.ca used for Apex pricing. Bighshowfrags.com used for Profilux pricing.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Patiently installing and reviewing it :)

It is definitely different then Apex and being an Apex user it is making things challenging. I did get it all hooked up to the tanks this past weekend and learning more every day. So far, over all, I am glad I switched.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
To be fair, I am going to run it for a while before giving a full review. I ran Apex for 3-4 years and it would not be fair for me to give that experience compared to a few weeks on GHL. I can say so far that they are both great and both have their advantages and disadvantages and depending on your personal preferences will be which system would be viewed as better. Also for the record, I was not contacted by either company about using their products and I have paid for them in full retail (sadly). I will be making a new thread in the review section for my fair comparison.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
To be fair, I am going to run it for a while before giving a full review. I ran Apex for 3-4 years and it would not be fair for me to give that experience compared to a few weeks on GHL. I can say so far that they are both great and both have their advantages and disadvantages and depending on your personal preferences will be which system would be viewed as better. Also for the record, I was not contacted by either company about using their products and I have paid for them in full retail (sadly). I will be making a new thread in the review section for my fair comparison.

I ask because I’m really undecided if a controller would help me.

If it would, then i have to pick a brand because it’s going to cost around 2 Gs when everything is complete.

Plus once I decide the controller then i should stick with all the same brand accessories.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I ask because I’m really undecided if a controller would help me.

If it would, then i have to pick a brand because it’s going to cost around 2 Gs when everything is complete.

Plus once I decide the controller then i should stick with all the same brand accessories.

I have my reasons to say GHL all the way, but I will PM the info for now to discuss details and let you decide from there.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Still waiting...... :)
I was actually thinking about it this morning. I hadn't even realized it had been this long all ready. I got caught up with my 3d printer and time flew I guess. On a plus me forgetting shows how much I have had to pay attention to the P4. It has been running flawlessly since I hooked it up. I have an unboxing video on my computer that I will work to get uploaded.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Sure , sure...
Putting up the unedited unboxing right now.
874100da2bf5842fef79a0e8a58835e7.jpg

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Unedited and uncut upboxing. There are a few errors in what I say through the video that I will fix up. My vision is coming back, but eyes get soar quickly on screens. I also have the set up and basic programming done, but those will be full edits that I need to do. Hoping to be closer to normall in the next few days. I have another week off work while wife is working and kids are at school, so lots of time next week.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Sweet looking unit, looking forward to the setup and programming. Do you need a USB to set it up? I have a reeflink and I’m having issues with it and myiPad/iPhone communicatiing. How does the Proflux sync with the radions?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Sweet looking unit, looking forward to the setup and programming. Do you need a USB to set it up? I have a reeflink and I’m having issues with it and myiPad/iPhone communicatiing. How does the Proflux sync with the radions?

You do need to direct connect to the unit via supplied USB cable to set it up. Once it is set up, you can do most of the programming via their web based system, much like Neptune Apex Fusion. Direct connect is best in my honest opinion. I sometimes have issues with the web pages failing to load or being unresponsive. It could just be me though. But honestly the web based systems are over rated in my opinion. There is no reason to be logged into them changing things all the time like I hear Fusion users who are always in Fusion messing around.

I use a Reeflink as well for my Radions and Vortech's. There is a Vortech module that you can connect up to 11 Vortech's to the Profilux 4. It is capable of simulating all the options that you can program through the pumps themselves. There is no module to connect the Radions however. I would not be hopeful in the future either. Ecotech has made a turn to remove third party controller access and force users to use their controller. Neptune Apex is having the same issues. For some reason many people are having issues with the WXM's lately almost forcing the conversion to a Reeflink. The Vectra pumps is an example of their new approach; you can not control them with anything other then the Reeflink or controller itself.