Reef Octopus Biochurn 120r Recirculating Biopellet Reactor

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
As many have seen in my threads, I recently switched from vinegar back to pellets.

I switched to vinegar dosing and I have been daily dosing vinegar successfully for over a year now. That daily dosing is extremely tedious and I decided to get back on biopellets. I created a DIY reactor HEREfor less then $15 with a pump I had on hand and a old calcium reactor I had on hand. It worked great until I dropped it and the top ring that secures the top popped off as well as a section of the cylinder. Seeing that I was out of spare parts for a project like this, I turned to a factory reactor.

I read up on several that can handle my large amount of pellets. I settled on the Reef Octopus Octo BioCurn-120R, a recirculating bio pellet reactor that was made specifically for larger set ups. It retails just over $400 CAD (reefsupplies.ca) ($359.99 USD (bulkreefsupplies.com). Sustainablemarine.ca delivered it today. After opening the box, it only took a few moments to get it up and running. There was minimal assebly. Basically all you have to do is attach the pump with unions, the water input and output connections depending on your set up. The reactor is made in metric, they do include addapters to convert the input and output flow to imperial to fit most of what we have available for plumbing. I was very impressed with that and the packaging. The entire reactor was in a solid 2 peice molded styrofoam casing. There was no way this could be damaged in shipping. Very impressed, it is definitely overkill which is perfect.

I loved pellets in the past. I only got away from them for 2 reasons. The first was the amount of pellets I needed far exceeded my reactors on hand. The second was the loss of flow as bacterial crud builds up in the reactor clogging the flow. I was forced to clean it every few weeks or the flow would completely stop leaving the pellets dormant in the reactor. Furthermore reactors tend to push a lot of flow into one particular area, which means that you get a lot of circulation in one area, and very little in others. This seems to remedy all my previous issues. Only time will tell if this exceeds my previous issues with reactors, but after my initial introduction to it, I have a feeling that I will be a happy reefer for the near future.

Here are the specs and photos being added.

Features:
Solid construction
Refined control - independent flow valves to independently control the flow of media within reactor
Patent pending churning plate - suspends media for more contact with nutrient rich aquarium water
Easy to maintain upper containment plate

Reactor Specifications:

Capacity: approx. 900 mL
Diameter: 5”
Height: 20”
Footprint: 11.82” x 7.1"
Output Size: 1"
Inlet Feed Size: 1/2" or 3/4"
Suggested Feed pump producing 270-530 GPH (I am using a MJ1200 pump to start)

Aquatrance 1200 Pump Features:

Power Consumption: 15 Watts
Max Water Flow: 340 GPH

Manufacturer's Warranty

1 year on reactor body
2 year on Aquatrance pump
1 year on rotor

98a826a107ac309a36949e1892e6773d.jpg

6cff76955b58178d8f2b2127c1e1d6cf.jpg

5915274269d78ef5cdb5cef2c5083b20.jpg

Reactor running only with a mj1200 feeding it and 5 cups of pellets.

Reactor running only with the recirculating pump running with 2 cups of pellets.

Last edited:

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Love to hear some real world results. Keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I for sure will. So far I am very impressed. The only downfall so far is that the output is set up as hard plumbed. The input comes ready for different hose sizes. I would have preferred the same set up for the out put, or at least an easy switch option. I did not have a way to switch it on hand.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Cliff

Hey torx how are you liking this unit? I am thinking of buying one myself. Do you feel that the rotor mechanism will last a long time? My only concern is it wearing out.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I am still loving it. 0 issues, great flow through it. I did add more pellets a few days ago to get it back up to 5 cups of pellets. The videos in the OP are with 5 cups, so there is lots of room for even more in a larger system. I also cleaned the top plate that stops the pellets from flowing out. Nice and quiet. I had pellets in both a tlf150 and a tlf550 in the past, it was noisy with the pellets tumbling. This does not have that noise. Probably one of my favorite pieces of equipment that I purchased new. I was really hesitant with the price tag, but it is a great well built reactor.

BonnieC

As many have seen in my threads, I recently switched from vinegar back to pellets.

I switched to vinegar dosing and I have been daily dosing vinegar successfully for over a year now. That daily dosing is extremely tedious and I decided to get back on biopellets. I created a DIY reactor HEREfor less then $15 with a pump I had on hand and a old calcium reactor I had on hand. It worked great until I dropped it and the top ring that secures the top popped off as well as a section of the cylinder. Seeing that I was out of spare parts for a project like this, I turned to a factory reactor.

I read up on several that can handle my large amount of pellets. I settled on the Reef Octopus Octo BioCurn-120R, a recirculating bio pellet reactor that was made specifically for larger set ups. It retails just over $400 CAD (reefsupplies.ca) ($359.99 USD (bulkreefsupplies.com). Sustainablemarine.ca delivered it today. After opening the box, it only took a few moments to get it up and running. There was minimal assebly. Basically all you have to do is attach the pump with unions, the water input and output connections depending on your set up. The reactor is made in metric, they do include addapters to convert the input and output flow to imperial to fit most of what we have available for plumbing. I was very impressed with that and the packaging. The entire reactor was in a solid 2 peice molded styrofoam casing. There was no way this could be damaged in shipping. Very impressed, it is definitely overkill which is perfect.

I loved pellets in the past. I only got away from them for 2 reasons. The first was the amount of pellets I needed far exceeded my reactors on hand. The second was the loss of flow as bacterial crud builds up in the reactor clogging the flow. I was forced to clean it every few weeks or the flow would completely stop leaving the pellets dormant in the reactor. Furthermore reactors tend to push a lot of flow into one particular area, which means that you get a lot of circulation in one area, and very little in others. This seems to remedy all my previous issues. Only time will tell if this exceeds my previous issues with reactors, but after my initial introduction to it, I have a feeling that I will be a happy reefer for the near future.

Here are the specs and photos being added.

Features:
Solid construction
Refined control - independent flow valves to independently control the flow of media within reactor
Patent pending churning plate - suspends media for more contact with nutrient rich aquarium water
Easy to maintain upper containment plate

Reactor Specifications:

Capacity: approx. 900 mL
Diameter: 5”
Height: 20”
Footprint: 11.82” x 7.1"
Output Size: 1"
Inlet Feed Size: 1/2" or 3/4"
Suggested Feed pump producing 270-530 GPH (I am using a MJ1200 pump to start)

Aquatrance 1200 Pump Features:

Power Consumption: 15 Watts
Max Water Flow: 340 GPH

Manufacturer's Warranty

1 year on reactor body
2 year on Aquatrance pump
1 year on rotor

98a826a107ac309a36949e1892e6773d.jpg

6cff76955b58178d8f2b2127c1e1d6cf.jpg

5915274269d78ef5cdb5cef2c5083b20.jpg

Reactor running only with a mj1200 feeding it and 5 cups of pellets.

Reactor running only with the recirculating pump running with 2 cups of pellets.

Mark - Do I need one of these? Just looking at this exact one on bulkreef and eBay.
Might have to add to my order Ian!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
If you are looking too run biopellets then i would suggest one for your set up for sure. You would need a lot of pellets for that water volume and this allows you to have that without pushing a ton of water through the reactor to keep things fluent.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk