Are Bio Pellets Still A Thing?

Bigfish

Just wondering if anyone still uses them, as you don't hear much about them anymore. If so, which brand and reactor do you use? I ran the tlf brand in a tlf reactor years ago and was thinking of setting it back up again.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I used to use bio pellets for several years and found they stripped my nutrients too much for my liking.

For my current system, I have discontinued pellets and went with AquaForest bacteria dosing to manage my nitrate and phosphate and it has been successful. Less fuss with good results. I only had to dose for a short initial period until things were balanced and it’s been on cruise control ever since

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Still use pellets. I have the pump run only spradically during the day, seems to keep a nice balance in the tank. 1 year old and I haven't had any outbreak of anything, substrate is relatively clean, sps growing fine.

Bigfish

Sounds like the recirculating reactors are the better choice over one such as the tlf. If i remember correctly, mine used to clump up all the time and the screens would often get clogged reducing the flow.

Last edited:

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Recirculating reactors are best on large tanks with a large volume of pellets. It allows for more circulation without blasting water out of it. By recirculating it allows the bacteria to survive longer before exiting the reactor and eventually death by skimmer.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Bigfish

I've got a 120g with 40g sump. Think a recirculating reactor would be neccesary? I would start off at half the ammount and go from there.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Sounds about right. You should probably start around 25% suggested though. A recirculating reactor would be perfect. You probably remember correctly, unless water is blasting through the reactor, you probably were clumping. Go for the recirc :)

Bigfish

Still use pellets. I have the pump run only spradically during the day, seems to keep a nice balance in the tank. 1 year old and I haven't had any outbreak of anything, substrate is relatively clean, sps growing fine.
I would have thought they would go aerobic when left stagnant in the reactor.

Bigfish

Are the different pellet brands basically the same? I have a pretty much full bag of the tlf brand left that I may as well use, up assuming nothing would go bad with them as they are plastic. Also, should a bacteria starter be used when starting up? I recall using something to seed them in the past.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I would have thought they would go aerobic when left stagnant in the reactor.
If the pump is off for an extended time, like more than 24 hours, there is a nasty smell that comes out of the output, but for being off for a couple of hours here and there, doesn't seem to be any ill effects. Again, it's a kathleen wynne gift to my fish. Every kilowatt counts.

Bigfish

If the pump is off for an extended time, like more than 24 hours, there is a nasty smell that comes out of the output, but for being off for a couple of hours here and there, doesn't seem to be any ill effects. Again, it's a kathleen wynne gift to my fish. Every kilowatt counts.
She is a real gem, isn't she!