New Miracles Starphire 220 Gallon Build

Sidewaze

As exciting as it is to build a new hi-tech system. I miss my aquarium. I miss just chillin and watching it. Looking for new growth or critters. Can't begin quick enough. With that being said off to my U.S. post box to get all my goodies tomorrow from BRS.

Sidewaze

Well my goodies are home. Can' believe how small the AI lights are especially compared to my IT2040's ( which will be posted for sale shortly). Now to finish renos to start build, no room. Hate having all this and not setting up. Upgraded controller for my Reef Octopus Regal that interfaces with the Apex now.

Attachments

• 2017-12-08 13.18.26.jpg
    2017-12-08 13.18.26.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 356

Sidewaze

I wish I had more to report but renovations on the other side of the basement have delayed my system build. I have been able to do a few things. I rebuilt my sump and have placed my stand. The tank is home but don't want to place it until drywall is done hopefully later this week. Unfortunately I have knee surgery scheduled for Feb. Here is a few pics to give an idea. Excuse the mess limited space right now.

Attachments

• 20180115_211458.jpg
    20180115_211458.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 247
  • 20180115_211632.jpg
    20180115_211632.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 358
  • 20180115_211730.jpg
    20180115_211730.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 267
  • 20180115_210605.jpg
    20180115_210605.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 283
  • 20180115_210546.jpg
    20180115_210546.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 285

Sidewaze

Just a little update should be starting on build in a few weeks hopefully. On second week of knee surgery recovery. Getting close. Thought I'd be up and running by now.

Fredk

Did you do any prep on the metal or a coat of primer before the Tremclad?

I just picked up a used tank. The stand for it was built new four years ago and just painted with Tremclad. It does not hold up well to salt water on its own.

Sidewaze

Ok still recovering but able to have some advancement on Reno. Board is up and being taped and mud on Wednesday. Here is an idea of how it'll look. The tank recessed 1/2" into wall. Then will have custom hood made from top of tank to ceiling allowing access from back. More to follow once room is mudded and taped then I can place tank into place.

Attachments

• stand front.jpg
    stand front.jpg
    1,015.5 KB · Views: 341
  • stand sidexcf.jpg
    stand sidexcf.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 340

Sidewaze

Well after trying to decide how I was going to enclose the stand I finally came up with a plan. I'm going to mount plywood to stand and then tile it with the following tile. What do you think. Still have to come up with the hood. I want to mount to ceiling with a removable front.
stone stand.jpg

Quartapound

Well after trying to decide how I was going to enclose the stand I finally came up with a plan. I'm going to mount plywood to stand and then tile it with the following tile. What do you think. Still have to come up with the hood. I want to mount to ceiling with a removable front.View attachment 16210

I was very close to choosing the exact same tile to skin the stand on my 45g. I ended up going with a faux barnwood because it seemed easier to work with (we covered the entire wall behind the TV with it as well) , and I wasn't sure how to 'finish' the edges of the stand with the tile... but I really like the look.

Good luck, cant wait to see how it turns out!

Sidewaze

Ok getting real close to starting build. Have a little sanding and then primer/sealer. Build will begin once paint is done and hope to have that done by the end of next weekend. Then look out.

Sidewaze

Room is starting to take shape now that primer is on. Nice to see one solid colour, no screws or mud lines.. Excitement is starting to build again. With all the setbacks I was beginning to lose interest and question rebuilding. Pics will follow tomorrow when back home.

Sidewaze

Ok paint is done now to set stand and level. Now to hire some people to move into house. Does anyone know of movers other than Mikes. Just has to go down a small set of stairs then about 30' to stand. I can then slowly start build as I also have to prepare the house for a baptism for granddaughter in June. Wish me luck

Sidewaze

Ok didn't like the look so I did this. Still have to mount Vortech controllers and run probe wires and flow sensor cables when plumbed. I was able to tie in the colour of my bike being a Kawi guy. I will clean up wiring when build is done.

Attachments

• 20180515_231334.jpg
    20180515_231334.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 268

Sidewaze

I will also have all devices and cables labeled. The bottom gfci is generator backup supplying power to Apex, lights and Wi-Fi. When system is running I'll be able to take a amperage reading and see at what level I can run system. I work 12 hour nights with 2.5 hr round trip commute so I have a fail save setup for the wife to switch to backup. I can also bypass to run furnace and allow use of sump. More to come later

Last edited: