1 Yr Anniversary!

Bfofre

Thought I'd post some updated pics of my 90gal reef at 1 year... I don't do much with the tank anymore except routine maintenance..
fb3866ff61355c8a4541e89327555836.jpg

Bfofre

A lot of frags have grown in nicely... Zoas have been hit and miss, some take off and some disappear. The easy sps I have have been doing well, with no additional dosing.. I have a very minimalist approach to reef keeping, as this worked with lots of success many years ago too

reefgeek

1 question though.. How the heck do I photograph this tank with my Canon and actually get some of the colours to show.

You have to find the white balance feature of the camera, select it, put something that is flat white in the tank, fill the viewfinder with this object and take a picture. Your camera will then use the white object as a reference point for what true white is and will adjust the photo sensor accordingly. It can be tricky, I am still working on getting mine just right. Oh and some cameras do not have the feature, all high end DLSR cameras will have this feature buried somewhere in the user menus.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
You have to find the white balance feature of the camera, select it, put something that is flat white in the tank, fill the viewfinder with this object and take a picture. Your camera will then use the white object as a reference point for what true white is and will adjust the photo sensor accordingly. It can be tricky, I am still working on getting mine just right. Oh and some cameras do not have the feature, all high end DLSR cameras will have this feature buried somewhere in the user menus.
Some cameras have this feature but are limited in how far the white balance can be adjusted.... my Nikon D90 couldn't be white carded using the light from my old led units. Too blue. I could white card it using different lights just not the aquarium lights.... it was very frustrating!!!