2 Part Mixing

Jewel

I'm making my own 2 Part, using Big Als Calcium Chloride and Sodium Bicarbonate, I'm following the direction but the Alk. portion doesn't fully dissolve, I've heated it up, and shook it many times and separated into two containers while the sediment was floating and still no.

I could put more in and compensate but that wouldn't be accurate but still it could be done. The strength could vary a bit. I could get a mixer and leave it for a week, what about heating the water before the addition is made? Any ideas that I haven't covered. And also those that use it, does it cloud up while adding it to the tank?

Jewel

Could it be a bad batch? Guess I'm SOL, I'm not doubling the dose to get it mixed in better, I'don't have the containers. Can I use the Calc Part with a home made Recipee of Baked Baking Soda, Any suggestions,

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Jewel link said:
Could it be a bad batch? Guess I'm SOL, I'm not doubling the dose to get it mixed in better, I'don't have the containers. Can I use the Calc Part with a home made Recipee of Baked Baking Soda, Any suggestions,
i used baked baking soda for a while when i first started dosing, its even easier to get disolved. and works just the same.

Jewel

RO/DI at room temp, I think the water is saturated, If you're not familiar with the product, It's very heavy it has a flour consistency to it. I'm not gonna use it, I'm gonna use the Calc part but not the ALK part, I'll use Baked Baking Soda in it's place and when I'm finished with the Part A ingredient then I'll go with B-ionic in the liquid form but get it in bulk which will be cheaper. Now I know why Big Als doesn't stock it.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
i think you must just be mixing it wrong.. it should dissolve no issues, what are the directions per gallon?

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Jewel link said:
ok well thank you for all your comments and help, hey live and learn i'm only out 35 bucks.

i had the same issue with the brs stuff.. i added 2 cups of it to my container and then filled it with water and started to shake.. i had a solid white rock in the bottom.. i ended up smashing it up in the jug with some kitchen utensils.. ever since i've always filled the jug with RO and then stirred it vigorously while adding the powder slowly. the stuff is finicky

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Duke link said:
[quote author=Jewel link=topic=7860.msg82316#msg82316 date=1392829366]
ok well thank you for all your comments and help, hey live and learn i'm only out 35 bucks.

i had the same issue with the brs stuff.. i added 2 cups of it to my container and then filled it with water and started to shake.. i had a solid white rock in the bottom.. i ended up smashing it up in the jug with some kitchen utensils.. ever since i've always filled the jug with RO and then stirred it vigorously while adding the powder slowly. the stuff is finicky
[/quote]

ive heard from several guys that they mix it in a 5g pail first and then vigorously stir it and when its fully dissolved pour it into the 1g jug

benzzz

CA always mixes well for me. What I do for ALK is fill a gallon jug with RO/Di water and then take a 2.5 gallon pail in the sink and fill it 1/2 full of hot water. cap the gallon jug, set in hot water and go have dinner, come back add the alk, reseal and shake for a few minutes. Always seems to work for me.