20 Gallon Long Trying To Build It Into A Sump

100gallon

I was hoping some of you who have built sumps could guide me here.
20 gallon glass long tank. Going to put a massive turboflotor 5000 shorty 2 in it. Huge foot print. This reduces fuge and return areas. 12 deep and 12 wide. I have 1/4 inch plexiglass to use for baffles. I would like to place skimmer first with LE rubble with it and 2x 250 watt Jagers. Next bubble baffle with fuge (clean bottom or sand) and clean up crews. Next baffle and return 1200 mag pump. I have a corner overflow bottom drilled and no idea how many gphr it will flow. Custom 90 gallon. 60x18x19.
Any tips and tricks would be great. I will use GO silicone tank safe caulking btw.
Phil.
Thanks!!

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
20 gallon is a little small to cram all that stuff in IMO
first point- any chance you can go bigger? if not then nvm :)

2nd point- forget baffles. IMO of course- this will allow you to arrange everything the way you want, especially in a tight fitting area like a 20g.
sure, it wont work then to have a fuge with sand and chaeto, but you can always buy a hang on filter or fuge if you feel you really need one.

i have a 70g sump, and its just - skimmer on one end, return, and reactor pumps on the other, and heater and liverock all over the middle (can never have too much liverock :) )

Sewerat

Super Active Member
Or go baffle less, get a small 5 gal drill it, simple over flow place on top of sump have one part of return flow into it and make it the refugium

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Like everyone said. Go bigger if you can fit it.

20 gal is small for all the equipment you want in there. I'm in the same boat as brandon. I have a 90 gal, baffled, skimmer, reactors, fuge, and return pump section and it's barely enough room.

100gallon

Thanks for the input! I can't go bigger for the sump...I could do the 5 gallon idea though. My main drain from dt flows into it, then would drain from it to the sump below?

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Could do that way or the flow out of a reactor into the little 5 with the 5 returning into the sump
That's what I'd recommend to do. Flow directly from the DT to the fuge might be a bit strong and really kick up a lot of you sand in the fuge.

You're definitely going to need some type of ATO. The evaporation out of a little 20 gal sump is going to be huge.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
As for the reactors...will I need both phos and carbon reactors?

Depends if you have phosphate issues. People run carbon as a choice or when needed. But do not run them together. I would run them all separately or in a chain such as the BRS gfo/carbon reactor. They have different life spans and mixing them will just cause you to throw out media before it has expired.

100gallon

Right ok. J and l aquatics has a dual reactor with pump lines and media for both for 159.00. Will this be adequate or is there another spot to spend money at lol

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=tf-reactor3

Phosban Pro Package comes complete and ready to operate. Package includes:
  • 2 Phosban 150 Reactors
  • 1 Maxi-Jet 400 Pump
  • 1 Rowa-Phos 500ml
  • 1 Black Diamond Carbon 1.87L
  • 5 Feet 1/2 Tubing
Might not be enough for you 90gal set up. That MJ400 will power, but might not be enough for all the gfo you will need. IF purchasing from j and l, maybe try http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=ro-fcr20 with purchasing the other stuff separate. BRS has BRS GFO & Carbon Reactor – Dual with MJ1200 Pump for 89.99 then all you need is the media.