20+ Years Exp In Freshwater Starting Up A 300g Deep Dimension Reef

Monnishan

Hey all. Still in the building process of my new 300 gallon deep dimension reef aquarium. It features a full Ecotech Marine package of 3 gen 4 XR30 pro LED's, 3 mp40 wavemakers and an M1 return pump. Also for a skimmer a Reef Octopus 260ss. Stand base is built with 2 x 6's and 1/2" plywood in the sump area and a 3/4" plywood on top . Going with mostly Caribsea Liferock and some pukani. Currently at the stage of building my sump, a 120 gallon tank. 4' x2' x 2'. Sump will include a refugium but also debating growing mangroves in my system and how to do it.

Attachments

• 20180111_182043.jpg
    20180111_182043.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 185

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Welcome to TFT. Tons of members that give great advice.

Looks like you’re off to a great start. The list of equipment is impressive and you should have great success.

I too have over 20 years experience in freshwater and the truth is very little transfers over to the saltwater side.

Good luck and don’t be afraid to ask questions and read everything you can.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Welcome to the site. I hope you enjoy it. Sounds like it is going to be quite the monster when it is done. Great selection of equipment so far. Although I do not know the RO 260ss, I know there is a 250sss, but have never heard of the other. All that should treat you well for many years. I personally love the Ecotech line and have recently migrated over a lot of my equipment to the same. I would like to suggest, if you do not have it already, a ReefLink to control the Radions and Vortechs. It is very convenient and easy to program/control all the units through it. My only concern is the height of that sump. Once the tank is in place, you will have to be able to remove equipment to clean and general maintenance. Make sure there is enough room to lift out the skimmer body once the tank is in place. Looking forward to you updates.

Monnishan

Welcome to the site. I hope you enjoy it. Sounds like it is going to be quite the monster when it is done. Great selection of equipment so far. Although I do not know the RO 260ss, I know there is a 250sss, but have never heard of the other. All that should treat you well for many years. I personally love the Ecotech line and have recently migrated over a lot of my equipment to the same. I would like to suggest, if you do not have it already, a ReefLink to control the Radions and Vortechs. It is very convenient and easy to program/control all the units through it. My only concern is the height of that sump. Once the tank is in place, you will have to be able to remove equipment to clean and general maintenance. Make sure there is enough room to lift out the skimmer body once the tank is in place. Looking forward to you updates.
Yes good point. I do in fact have the Reeflink and 2 battery backups

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
My only concern is the height of that sump. Once the tank is in place, you will have to be able to remove equipment to clean and general maintenance. Make sure there is enough room to lift out the skimmer body once the tank is in place. Looking forward to you updates.

I agree 100%. Working in a sump with little head clearance is a PITA (been there, done that). Should switch to a shorter sump if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monnishan

Sorry. Mistyped the protein skimmer ID. It's a Reef Octopus Elite 220 INT. And it is just able to be removed from stand with no fuss. Was a concern of mine too.