220 gallon lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightymice

I am upgrading my current 135 gallon in wall tank to a 220 gallon over the next few months. My current lighting is 3 175W Metal halides supplemented by 4 retrofit 4 foot T5's. I currently have some LPS and softies mixed with a couple of montis and everything is doing well.
I will be selling my setup and replacing the lighting once I have everything moved into my 75 gallon.

Are T5's enough lighting over a 220 gallon (27 inch depth) - or do I need MH plus T5? I would like to start adding more SPS now that I will have extra room.
Thanks for your opinions.
Mike

davesolo29

Super Active Member
i plan on using t5s over my 200 gallon.. also 27" depth.  supplemented by an led strip for moonlighting and shimmer effect.
i hope its enough to grow everything i want.
should be.  my 120 was 26" and i had no problem growing at the bottom.  strangely enough, it was the stuff in the middle that didnt do well.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Hey mighty.  Might be an idea to come by and take a look at my sps LED setup.  I would never go back to MH again... (although I have nothing against T5 except bulb life). 

mightymice

I have considered LEDs but don't know enough about them to make an informed purchase. Salty - I may take you up on that offer. Will PM to arrange. I don't mind my halides as heat is not an issue and I like the shimmer.

Dave - How many T5's are you using?
Mike

davesolo29

Super Active Member
on my 120 i was using a 6 bulb tek..  had no problems hitting the 26 inch depth.
on my 200 i will be using an 8 bulb sunpower.  i dont see it being a problem(once i get new bulbs)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
mightymice link said:
I have considered LEDs but don't know enough about them to make an informed purchase. Salty - I may take you up on that offer. Will PM to arrange. I don't mind my halides as heat is not an issue and I like the shimmer.

Dave - How many T5's are you using?
Mike

You aint seen shimmer until you see LED shimmer.  In fact, the complaint is usually 'too much shimmer' or discoball effect :)

I was almost needing a chiller, my MH's were getting the tank up to 84deg in summer unless I had the house like an icebox. 

spyd

Super Active Member
A T5 fixture will bejust fine for that depth. What is the width of your tank? I would go with a combo of T5s and led. Maybe and ATI Powermodule with XHO led strips attached to the sides?

Status
Not open for further replies.