24 Gallon Aquapod

Nemo22

IMG_9245.JPG IMG_9248.JPG
This is my first tank- built-in overflow removed and added bottom drain to flow into 10 gallon sump/refugium.
Running for approx 1year.
Using IO salt but am moving to Reef Crystals next salt purchase to increase nutrients for corals.

Mixed LPS, softies and a couple SPS.

Livestock- Pair Ocelleris (tankbred), sixline wrasse, banded Coral shrimp. One large black brittle star that I would relocate to a larger tank if I could catch him without tearing down rockscape.

I have inherited some calcaneous algae of some sort that I struggle with but have managed to keep it within reasonable limits so far. Any tips, let me know, other than boiling rock and starting over.

Feel free to comment or offer advice. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_9246.JPG
    IMG_9246.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_9249.JPG
    IMG_9249.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 119

Nick James

Is it bubble algae? Peroxide is effective at killing algae. 1ml per 10g is typically safe. Try applying it directly to the algae each day to increase its effectiveness.

Nemo22

Hey Nick,
No it's def not bubble. It's rooted right into the rock and I've even tried peroxide dips of the entire rocks before I had much Coral. It just keeps growing back, out of the rocks.

Think I should start trying dosing peroxide 3% directly to the tank for a few weeks still?

It's frustrating but I keep fighting the good fight. Was considering a media reactor for GFO but still not convinced it will make much difference.

Attachments

• IMG_9250.JPG
    IMG_9250.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_9251.JPG
    IMG_9251.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 107
Last edited:

Nick James

Well, that's above my level of expertise! Consider something like carbon dosing (I went with vinegar) to help starve it out. Combining with gfo/rowaphos it should be effective slowly but surely.

Nemo22

Need your thoughts on lighting. Please share your opinion on which of the following you would choose and why. Keep in mind this is an Aquapod 24g. My retrofit LED's are acting up and I am planning on an upgrade in the near future.

1. Radion XR15 x1
2. Kessil A360WE x1
3. Kessil A160WE x2
4. Other.

Currently maintaining a mixed reef with softies and zoas, LPS (Acans, Hammer and Frogspawn) and a few SPS (Purple Bonsai, Red Monti).

Thanks for sharing guys and gals :)

Nemo22

Thats bad algae, spindle weed or neomeris, u have to start a war :mad:

Thanks a lot for the proper identification! That's the stuff 100% and now I can at least read up on what I can do.

Ya, the war has been going on for two years. That ugly stuff came with the tank and now I just fight to keep it somewhat controlled. Really not sure when I'll be ready to completely start over. Any tips other than complete rip, let me know.

Last edited:

Franco

I know it love calcium, for me i would start with dry rock since you have that from long time.i did a search and i did not find a cure.o_O

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
So from what ive read on this stuff is that the only way to get rid of it is to starve it of calcium. It loves calcium.

Nemo22

I know it love calcium, for me i would start with dry rock since you have that from long time.i did a search and i did not find a cure.o_O
Ya when I do a tank upgrade I'll be looking at a slow transition of the coral that's fixed to the LR. I don't see a cure either, just constant manicring I guess.

Nemo22

Still plugging away at the Neomeris Macro (Spindle Weed), but coral is doing very well with growth in most cases. Definitely need to upgrade lighting (thinking Kessil 2x 160W or Radion XR15) and I am contemplating a media reactor to run GFO. Looking at downsizing the GSP island to make room for larger acan garden, Brain, or possibly try a torch again someday (I lost a beautiful Aussie Golden Torch in less than a week from brown jelly). I am also going to frag the white hammer coral in the near future as well.

Is there a better way to encourage more blanket grow out of zoas so they move off of the plug. I try to remove as many as I can from the plug prior to fixing them to rock but so many frags come with coral fixed directly to plug and I can't scrape them off clean enough to risk it....especially the zoas.

Cleanup crew has remained stable for almost a year now without restocking, so I've decided to leave it as is. A few blue hermits, a halloween hermit, a Scarlett hermit, a very large brittle star, 4 turbo snails, 1 Nerite snail, 1 Bumblebee snail (where's Waldo haha), and a Banded Coral Shrimp.

Parameters have remained much more stable since the addition of the Smart ATO as well, I couldn't be happier with it's performance.

Still trying to control the urge to feed daily. Have to slow down feeding slightly I think. Going to try every couple days dry pellets and once a week mysis, cyclopeze.

Always appreciate advise. Thanks for looking. :)

Attachments

• 17410081_10154150790610044_1022775108_n.jpg
    17410081_10154150790610044_1022775108_n.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 67

Nemo22

Is an Ecotech Radion XR30 too much light for this tank? Wondering if I drop intensity if it will be better than a single puck model? I definitely don't want to fry everything.

Nemo22

IMG_0899.JPG
Quick update:
Tank is running well but felt it needed a light upgrade so I went with the Kessil a160we with Spectral Controller. I will evaluate whether I'll need a second a160 after acclimation and Coral response. I am a huge fan of the shimmer the light provides and the colour is night and day better than the retrofit Chinese
LED's that came with the tank.
IMG_0897.JPG
IMG_0898.JPG
IMG_0900.JPG

Corals seem to be responding well but it's only been a few days into light acclimation setting. I am happy with the removal of the hood for more light shimmer on the walls and ceiling.
I would like to pickup an Apex Jr Contoller and I'm in need of a heater upgrade if anyone has any suggestions for brand, size and/or 1 or 2? Considering Cobalt or Finnex 100w.

Thanks for looking guys. I'm really enjoying the hobby and looking in on others progress as well.

Cheers

Nemo22

Well I cut the monster Colt Coral off at the base and have had it threaded at the base to a piece of live rock. Hopefully it will reattach itself so I can offload it.

It really opens up the light for my Bonsai, red digita, and Monti sps corals which should pay dividends. It also offers better line of sight to the back of the tank and to the hammer colony, so I'm quite happy with the decision to cut.

Attachments

• IMG_1042.JPG
    IMG_1042.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1055.PNG
    IMG_1055.PNG
    2.3 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0978.JPG
    IMG_0978.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0822.JPG
    IMG_0822.JPG