4th Annual Fragfest

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Well, after literally a crapload of PM's and facebook msgs, I will have to say I'm totally surprised at the response to my hinting that I was sort of done with it.

I think I was for some reason or another totally burned out from 2013, and then add to it the number of competitor shows, trouble with the legion etc etc, and I really thought I was done.

As it is, knowing that people enjoyed it, then by all means I'll do another one next year. Same place? I don't know, it does work really well for parking and access and space seemed okay, maybe I would go back to doing the 2 levels as I had a crapload of requests to sign up right near the end, and turned people away. Besides the one guy that whined the most about us doing it on the Sunday didn't even show up ;)

Mostly, it was the visit to Ronald McDonald house. I got a tour this time, and the place is awesme, and I have a super soft spot for sick kids...so NOT doing the show seems almost selfish, and it sort of gave me the resolve to make the show even better.

Anyway, looks like I'll do it again. I don't think I would do a fall show, and no damn way I will go to a committee on it (I love being a dick-tator if you haven't noticed), and I still believe in the Fragtank motto of keeping it by hobbyists for hobbyists. To be true, this year had almost ZERO occurance of people trying to buy better tables, move people elsewhere, bickering, etc etc. So that was refreshing. I think people are getting that I honestly don't give a **** about what store you have, or "who you are", I just want people smiling. I'm very happy to hear that guys made money at the show, but if you see my measly display, I'm not in it for $$$, it's just nice to make enough for a new gun ;)

So anyway, I will likely start in the fall reserving tables, then with cash in hand I will go get the hall. I would really like lamplighter but I think the $$$ would be way out of whack. I don't want to charge $200 a table just to get nicer light fixtures (and I don't know what they would charge for food, etc).

heath

Distinguished Member
Glenn it is so good to hear that you are going to do another frag fest. Being a newbie this was my first show and I have to tell you that I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think that you did an awesome job and I believe by yourself.. maybe next time someone could volunteer to help to relieve some of the stress..thank you for a wonderful day..

Sewerat

Super Active Member
Glen I can likely help,out with the perfect spot for the event, I have mentioned it to you before, meets all your requirements as fas as ease to get to, ample parking, food available on location. And more room then you could possibly fill. Not sure on price comparison.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Oh I know, actually there has been 3 people suggest other locations, and I have to be honest...the biggest reason I picked this hall is because it is 5 minutes from my house, and 2 minutes from the 402. Your location means I have to drive across the city... I'm a selfish bastard :)

Again....I'm a dick-tator remember :)

heath

Distinguished Member
Is there still a hall on the east side of Lambeth, heading towards London, I can't remember the name but its on the south side of the highway.. between exter rd and hwy 4... that's not too far from your home..

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Wouldn't a hotel Like the Best Western?

I think their banquet rooms are nice and large plus people from out of town would be close and food would be available or could be catered.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
Just find someone at a farm or yard with a big ass shop with concrete floors that will rent free and get some chip trucks then when it's over power wash the floor. .can even flush the saltwater down the drain after show is over ..there is prolly lots of closed shops or factory's

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Best Western banquet halls are carpeted. I bet they'd have a bird if you wanted to bring in 100's of gallons of salt water.....
Ya water stains pretty bad. I'm wondering what they would use to clean the carpets with?
It's not like hundreds of people walk on those same carpets with wet shoes covered in salt from the winter streets.

They also have insurance.

More space = more vendors = more people and sales.

It's not like frags are cheap.

Bring in vendors and sell equipment, supplies as well.

Think big get brs to come or reef supply.

But hey what do I know, I'm just a hick from the sticks.

Maybe someone needs to check out a reptile expo and figure out how they do it.

They rent huge places in Toronto and have tons of parking and they must not lose to much money cuz they have them a couple times a year. http://www.reptileexpo.ca/

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Saltwater is a bit different. Do you wash your carpets and floors with saltwater? Obviously they are insured, but it doesn't mean they have to book us if they don't want to take the risk.

As for Toronto reptile shows the coral shows in Toronto are also quite large. Know what they have in common? It's Toronto. The population can support larger shows.

I for one go to frag shows to buy frags, not a new skimmer or salt. But hey that's just me.

Last edited by a moderator:

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Saltwater is a bit different. Do you wash your carpets and floors with saltwater? Obviously they are insured, but it doesn't mean they have to book us if they don't want to take the risk.

As for Toronto reptile shows the coral shows in Toronto are also quite large. Know what they have in common? It's Toronto. The population can support larger shows.

I for one go to frag shows to buy frags, not a new skimmer or salt. But hey that's just me.

He's lieing, I sold him dry goods at the London show. His eyes weren't quite fully open so maybe he didn't see what he was doing thus not remembering.

The London show has always been my best show. There is always a good turn out and it just seems much more relaxing then the other shows. This show was even more relaxing as I didn't have to frag anything :)

Big thanks to VDUBZ for joining me for the day. He brought some KILLER stuff.

Also a big thanks to Glenn for organizing, Aaron (imaroc where did you go), and Torx (he made pack up so much easier by buying all remainder in my tank!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bart84

I have done two shows now but attended a lot of them and I have to say a big thanks to Glen and support for a great show. Look forward to being part of the next one. Thanks again.