4th Annual - London Frag Fest 2016

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Okay, so some things I want to remember to have/do:

Some music?
A MUCH better PA system (MAST has already offered this up)
BBQ (this is a must have, people need food)
A dedicated raffle area with someone explaining the items?
A limit on tables (ie only one table or table area per vendor?
50/50 draw?

A guest speaker? Now I looked into this before...that weird "mr saltwater tank" would have spoken, but you should have seen it, he wanted airfare, lodging, transportation, diamonds, etc etc, and to be honest I don't think he has the following he thinks he has, at least not as big as his ego... But perhaps a seminar by someone who is actually respected in the community? It's something I might look into.

Someone who can flick the lights on and off right at 4pm so that we can actually get the hell out of there in decent time. (I'm looking at you BIGSHOW).

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Some music?
A MUCH better PA system (MAST has already offered this up)
BBQ (this is a must have, people need food)
A dedicated raffle area with someone explaining the items?
A limit on tables (ie only one table or table area per vendor?
50/50 draw?
Guest Speaker
All great ideas Glen.

Some suggestions:
No music please. I find it already tough hearing people when it gets busy.

BBQ is a must. All staff and vendors must have been starving!

Different raffle area? Maybe at the entrance before you pay? Have people look at the raffle items before they even pay to get in. That way you get their cash well before they hit the frags ;)

Guest speaker? I'd say no. This is the one of the best times that everyone can get together and shoot breeze. I personally would prefer to chat with fellow members rather than listen to a guest speaker.

Just my 2 cents

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I have to have the raffle items where I can do the draw, would be tough out in the entry, although I should be more diligent and have data sheets with pics maybe done for each item. thing is, I didn't get some things until the start of the show :)

Music may be something I might just add to my own booth, you could be right about too much noise as I was yelling a bit too. I think I'm picturing a carnival atmosphere with each booth trying to attract people from other booths. :)

I'm actually sketching out ideas for upping my display a bit. Everyone has the same frag tables (THANKS FOR THAT J_T!!) So I need something to stand out. Not as much as bigshow needs to of course!!

Joshbrookkate

Tables to sit at to eat, drink and socialize.
A volunteer or team of volunteers to help organize the securing and display of door prizes. I know that became chore for you, with so many other details to cover. (I'll be happy to help with this. I have lots of experience with this. But I live in Windsor so I would need someone with a London connection. Or would I?)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Indeed, if I could remove the raffle portion from everything else, it would be awesome. Aaron took care of 90% of it at the event this year and it was a huge time bonus for me. I definitely also need suggestions of people/businesses to hit up, and I also plan to do it earlier (I got a lot of "we're already all out of free giveaways).

Darkangel

Website
www.facebook.com
Hello all,
My name is Frank and some of you know my son and I as Kaotic Aquatics. I am looking for the date that this event is planned for. I am not only a saltwater hobbyist but also into freshwater. We have 50 tanks here at home and I am the show chairperson for 2016 Aquariama. This is an annual event put on by the club I belong to, Durham Region Aquarium Society.. This years date is April 17th 2016. I already have a good sized vendor area that is selling freshwater stuff but I also have the room to add a coral show. If the dates are not on conflict I would like to start planning to add the coral part to our event. We really need something out here in the east end, but we will both be calling on many of the same vendors so I am not willing to hurt the London event by trying to do our thing around the same time. Our show is the same time every year so I have no choice as to when it happens. It is a very large event with over 1500 items in last years auction so a coral event would just be something extra. Thanks.

Frank

sLAsh

Someway for people to post a pic of the mother colony for the frags in the auction will probably generate more bids.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Someway for people to post a pic of the mother colony for the frags in the auction will probably generate more bids.

This thread is related to the London show, not the Brantford one. We have not had an auction at the London one in the past. Although now that people have experienced one, it may actually be something to look into. Mast did a great job with it at the Brantford show, however I feel that the unknown is why people did not participate. It is a great way to get some great corals. Heck Kevin Tran did most the corals there and we know how great his stuff is.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I like the idea of a guest speaker...

Guest speakers are touchy. It depends on the quality of speakers. As an example, most require to have their travel and accommodations covered as well as expenses. Seeing that this events revenue is going to charity, it doesn't seem doable. It is a great idea and one that he has looked at in the past and will continue to monitor.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Hello all,
My name is Frank and some of you know my son and I as Kaotic Aquatics. I am looking for the date that this event is planned for. I am not only a saltwater hobbyist but also into freshwater. We have 50 tanks here at home and I am the show chairperson for 2016 Aquariama. This is an annual event put on by the club I belong to, Durham Region Aquarium Society.. This years date is April 17th 2016. I already have a good sized vendor area that is selling freshwater stuff but I also have the room to add a coral show. If the dates are not on conflict I would like to start planning to add the coral part to our event. We really need something out here in the east end, but we will both be calling on many of the same vendors so I am not willing to hurt the London event by trying to do our thing around the same time. Our show is the same time every year so I have no choice as to when it happens. It is a very large event with over 1500 items in last years auction so a coral event would just be something extra. Thanks.

Frank

@Salty Cracker is the one you should contact directly in relation to your situation. Would love to see you there.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Guest speakers are touchy. It depends on the quality of speakers. As an example, most require to have their travel and accommodations covered as well as expenses. Seeing that this events revenue is going to charity, it doesn't seem doable. It is a great idea and one that he has looked at in the past and will continue to monitor.

Bring a guest speaker and the door entry fee doubles or triples to cover the above costs as Torx stated.

If one was brought in, an idea would be to have to guest speaker do the talk while vendors are setting up in an seperate area (if available) then when time comes for show to open, you flood the room!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Indeed, if I could remove the raffle portion from everything else, it would be awesome. Aaron took care of 90% of it at the event this year and it was a huge time bonus for me. I definitely also need suggestions of people/businesses to hit up, and I also plan to do it earlier (I got a lot of "we're already all out of free giveaways).

I vote, thefragtank.ca sets up at the raffle table and I would more then happily monitor and direct the raffle. After all, you do enough at this event. Yes, there is a lot of help, but I could combine a table and the raffle nicely. Something to sit on there.