50/50 Split Opinion So Far, Aiptasia Or Not?

fishermandave333

I bought 80 lbs of live rock to kick start my 180 gal a week ago. With it I got a Kenya tree, gsp, and blue polyp coral. On one of the rocks there was a pink type of slime that eventually sprouted these little things I have attached a picture of. They don't move anywhere, they retract back into the slime when the lights are off, they don't seem to be spreading very fast, and they are only on the one rock. So far half the ppl I ask say aiptasia, half say some type of coral. Pics suck for scale but they range from 2-3mm to 1", and when they sprout back with the lights on they seem to sprout in the same spot. What I'm hoping out of this thread that if it is not aiptasia that someone can tell me what it actually is?

Thanks in advance.
20170428_171900.jpg
20170428_184448.jpg
20170428_185208.jpg

Dr Bluethumb

All the corals you mention can become like weeds and grow. I would control them and start to isolate them, or else when you get into the higher end corals they will compete for light. Good thing they are on one rock, if they spread you may think about eradicating them. They can be like aiptasia, but easier to control. But if you like them, then leave them be, they will definitely spread.

Last edited:

JoeT

I would take it out of the tank. You don't want that running wild in your aquarium. I always kill any rock I get before recycling it to avoid this.