50 Gallon Display - Tank Build

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
As some of you already know... I've been only running my frag tank since moving into my new house. 7 Months of jamming my personal collection into the back corner of my frag tank (geesh!). Now that we have had time to settle into the house and finances are back in order, I have finally decided to build a display. I wanted to keep the tank under 50 gallons because as I continue with renovations I know that I will need to move it at-least once or twice over the course of this upcoming year.  

Here is my plan....

I would like to keep this tank SPS Dominated and a few high-end LPS/Softies.

Major items that I already have and plan to use:

50 Gallon Tank 36 x 18 x 18
6x39w T5HO Current USA Lighting Fixture
Vertex In-100 Skimmer
Mag 9.5 Return Pump
10-20Lbs of Mature Live Rock  

Major items that I still need to get:

50 Gallon Sump 36 x 18 x 18
50-70Lbs of Eco Rock (I hope to pick this up from Eco-Reefer in Kitchener in the near future)
Stand of some sort??

I ordered a 1 1/2 in bulkhead from Bulk Reef Supply during our group buy that should be in by next Wednesday. Cal_stir from the forum has offered to let me borrow his Diamond Whole Cutter to drill the tank. I should be able to get the rest of the plumbing from Chatham Plumbing and odds and ends that I have left over from other projects. Also, DTI 1501 found me a 17 x 6 1/2 x 4 1/4 overflow that's in great shape (woohoo). I only hope that it will be large enough to house everything.    

So my drain plumbing will be 1.5in and my return will be 3/4in.

Please feel free to ask questions as I go. I will try by best to keep this thread up-to-date.

That's all for now.... I've attached a very rough plan for my build.

S

shayneh

Good luck and have fun......I realize it's a bit out of the way but Fadelle Marine in St. Mary's also carries loads of plumbing supplies etc. Derek is really easy going. Best way to contact him is via email since he is always out installing tanks for his high end clients. www.fadellemarine.com