65 gal project

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vander45

i just bought a 65 gal tank. today i am gonig out to by 2x4 to frame a stand for it. if anybody has anytips on good protein skimmers, return pump or overflow box would be appreciated. will post pics after

M

marks69

add another 2x4 on each leg, under the frame for the top.  also i would drill right now and save alot of hassles.  the 2x4's should be an L shape, with one under the 2x4 header. 

V

vander45

lol thanks mark i had just did it but thanks for letting me know

MDGraves

I would put a thin sheet of ply wood on the back and sides to tie everything together, glue and screw. You don't need that much water on the floor

V

vander45

should i still do that if i plan on finishing it with all oak in a month

P

phi delt reefer

return pump - eheim 1250 or 1260

skimmer - swc 150 BMK or the 160 cone - the 150 is a really cheap QUALITY skimmer.

CPR makes a pretty solid overflow box but i would recommend drilling that bad boy. Once you lose siphon on the overflow box your tank will flood. You can put in some fail safes though such as a couple float switches in the display that would automatically shut off the return pump when the water level gets too high.

i dunno if you like the look of Oak but Birch has a less woody look to it unless thats the look you like. Oak is cheaper but i find it very 1980-ish. Dont forget to edgeband the panels - those little touches make all the difference :D

M

marks69

i have the 60mm drill bit for 1 1/2" bulkhead, and the one for 3/4 also if you would like to borrow them, it's not hard to do and will work better in the long run.  and if your not going to wrap the stand for a bit, cut some 2x4 on 45's and gusset the corners.

MDGraves

I would put the oak on soon, right now you are relying on the sheer strength of a few #8 or #10 screws
You will have 540 ish lbs of water at a hight of 3 ft or so
Looks like the tank is in a high traffic area, a good bump would topple that over
Maybe put a couple of temp 2x4's in an x pattern on the back to add support till the finish skin is applied
Looks like you are making a nice show pc for your home, can't wait to see the finished product!!

V

vander45

i think i bought a known drilling tank cause i just figured on using a overflow

MDGraves

Lol, marks69 posted the same info as I was posting my response, I guess I should use more then 2 fingers to type

Blob-79

Super Active Member
agreed. the stand I plenty strong enouph with just downward force..however it needs to be able to withstand side pressure as well given 1 bump will get 500lbs moving side to side. or front to back. Once you put the faceing on it, you wont have to worry about it, but untill then yes I would definitly gusset the corners asap.

S

shayneh

Depending on sump location I would suggest a downdraft skimmer over a pinwheel or meshwheel skimmer. Downdrafts are the best but do tend to be louder ETSS makes the sump buddy and reef devil or If you need something dead silent the Bubble Magus line is crazy quiet. If it weren't for the bubbles in the skimmer I wouldn't know mine was running. I have had every type of skimmer design and I would still use the downdraft in a heartbeat. I personally would say stay away from the cone style skimmers as they reduce dwell time in the skimmer and most folks I know that have them aren't overly happy with the quality of skimmate they get. It's the same reason that most skimmers now have changed from a tapered neck to a wider neck and the cone skimmers produce the exact opposite results.

As far as return pumps go you should look at the Eheim compact plus pumps as they have adjustable flow rates, take up less space, and are more energy efficient than the standard eheim pumps. The HY Water Blaster is also another really good return pump.

If you can drill the tank now I will second or third the recommendation so you can go away without worrying if the overflow lost syphon and your sump has overflowed the tank all over the floor ruining the house, while your return pump get's red hot and eventually bursts into flames. LOL! 

Status
Not open for further replies.