75g Tank Upgrade

xxmurrxx

Well finally bumped it up to a bigger tank. First started out with a 10g, which was a huge mess...
Moved onto a biocube 29 which was and still is running great but I had the itch to go bigger! Pretty excited to get it going.

My first tank running a sump, thanks to those who suggested the herbie overflow.. 100x better than trying to get the durso quiet.
Had some setbacks getting it going from a leaky bulkhead to having to re-do my plumbing, but it's all up and running smoothly now.
I just threw a frozen mussel in there to start the cycle (No shrimp around  ;D) 
Will update after the cycle!

Equipment:
-75gal corner overflow tank, nice big sump 65g (Thanks reef freak)
-Mag 9.5 return & feeding pellet reactor
-Carbon Reactor
-Reef Octopus Diablo 160 skimmer
-Koralia 1050, mp10 (Probably upgrade or add another koralia in the future)
-Apex jr
-jbj ATO
-No light fixture yet (Thinking Rapid LED kit)

file-36.jpg

file-35.jpg

nitro069

looks like your gonna have yourself a good looking tank there.  Like the skimmer. that's the one i will probably upgrading to when the time comes. you should do a review on it in the reviews section after you have a chance to use it for a while.

Love the aquascaping

xxmurrxx

Thanks  ;D

teebone110 link said:
Did you make the stand yourself.
I helped out with building it, but I had it made by a carpenter friend. Turned out pretty good I think.  Went the custom route to allow for lots of room within the stand.

nitro069 link said:
l Like the skimmer. that's the one i will probably upgrading to when the time comes. you should do a review on it in the reviews section after you have a chance to use it for a while.
I'll definitely throw up a review once I get it broken in and running.  Seemed like a good choice for my budget.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
xxmurrxx link said:
[quote author=teebone110 link=topic=4044.msg36178#msg36178 date=1358218218]
Did you make the stand yourself.
I helped out with building it, but I had it made by a carpenter friend. Turned out pretty good I think.  Went the custom route to allow for lots of room within the stand.
[/quote]

I like the large open access to your sump area, unobstructed by a support beam. That's the way to do it 8)

Seggsy

Looking great Matt.  Great rock scape.  Man I wish my stand was taller so I could get into my sump!!!!!

Hijack alert - your return is running a reactor too?  I have a mag12 return dialed down with a ball joint - I wonder if it would run my turbofloator skimmer too (pump just died, impeller may be a week or more to get here).  Seems like a PITA to plump it over, unless it would work!

xxmurrxx

Seggsy link said:
Looking great Matt.  Great rock scape.  Man I wish my stand was taller so I could get into my sump!!!!!

Hijack alert - your return is running a reactor too?  I have a mag12 return dialed down with a ball joint - I wonder if it would run my turbofloator skimmer too (pump just died, impeller may be a week or more to get here).  Seems like a PITA to plump it over, unless it would work!

Thanks, Yeah it's feeding the reactor too, Yours might work for your skimmer but it probably needs a lot more flow than a reactor does. I have the reactor valve 1/4 the way open only. I originally had both reactors hooked up to the return pump but it seemed like I was not getting enough flow to the tank. With a mag 12 though, more GPH so it may work but yeah re-doing plumbing would suck as well.

reefin

I have a guestion about the return running you pellet reactor. Do you think you will have enough flow?

I couldn't get enough from mine no matter how close I got to the pump, I just couldn't get enough and its rated at 1000 GPH @ 0' head, and 750 @ 5'. So I ended up feeding the GFO and Carbon reactors from the return and a seperate pump on the bio pellets.

spyd

Super Active Member
Nicely done! Aquascaping looks great! The sump looks nice and neat. I especially like how you used the kid's puzzle piece flooring for under the sump! Genius! :D Just watch that JBJ ATO. Over time, the wires tend to corrode. I know from first hand experience. Failed open once on me. Luckily I caught it in time. The corroding occurs when the power goes out and the whole float switch gets submerged. Mine lasted about a year then it was done for.

xxmurrxx

Thanks!

Reefin: it seems like enough flow, I'm sure I'm not getting the max recommended but to me it's draining / returning a lot of water. Again it's my first tank with a sump so maybe it's not enough but I'm going to give it a go. After putting the herbie overflow on all I notice is pump noise so I'm already thinking of a quieter stronger pump :)

Spyd: good call on the jbj ato, already happened! A while back it cut out and I noticed the float wires were all messed up. Wasn't too impressed especially by the customer service from jbj, but I replaced the floats and it'll do for now. Maybe upgrade one day.

Only thing I'm questioning is the amount of live rock I have. Think about 70-80lbs but with pellets I don't need as much I think?  Could always add some rubble to the sump.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
xxmurrxx link said:
Only thing I'm questioning is the amount of live rock I have. Think about 70-80lbs but with pellets I don't need as much I think?  Could always add some rubble to the sump.

Since you are running pellets, I don't think you will need any additional live rock. Looks fine to me.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
I agree....dont worry about the rock....go with what ever looks good.  The bio pellets will handle the rest.

Looks great by the way.  The only thing I see that bothers me personally is how high the sump is....Im assuming its just a tank you had lying around.

spyd

Super Active Member
If you do go for a new return pump, I suggest one of the Water Blaster pumps! Mine is virtually dead silent. I love it!! I would go with the HY 5000. It pumps out 1300gph which would be lots for your display, bio-pellets and your dual reactor.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
Darryl_V link said:
I agree....dont worry about the rock....go with what ever looks good.  The bio pellets will handle the rest.

Looks great by the way.  The only thing I see that bothers me personally is how high the sump is....Im assuming its just a tank you had lying around.
Is there some sort of issue with a high sump that im not aware of?

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
davesolo29 link said:
[quote author=Darryl_V link=topic=4044.msg36219#msg36219 date=1358260044]

Is there some sort of issue with a high sump that im not aware of?
[/quote]

I think he's just pointing out that a sump that tall will be hard to work in.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
thats what i figured.. but who knows... maybe theres even more things i dont know.  i find something everyday that i was not aware of.
funny... when i was 14-20 i knew absolutely everything.  i must have forgotten things since then.  lol