acro red bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giglio324

so i was analyzing the first piece of acro i got. i had it in my small tank for way to long under cf and it was not doing well i threw t in my big tank under t5s and t seemed to be doing better, colour looking better. then today when i was staring int my addiction i noticed the little frags had red bugs. i looked up how to treat it with not much success except for some dog medication treatment which doesnt sound hard but i dnt have at the moment...im impatient. so i pulled out the little frag and threw it n some pure RO water and am now waiting and turkey basting the bugs off if i can. this was my first frag and was already basically considered a loss so i just wanted to get it out before it infected my nice stuff. anyway just wondering what anyone knows about these things and what your experience is/treatment options....dog medication...dragonface pipefish. thanks

spyd

Super Active Member
Definitely use Interceptor. When you get into SPS, its best to all ways have some on hand. Just crush it up, mix it with some of your tank water, and slowly dump it in.  Ensure your skimmer and any carbon are offline for a good 24hrs. After 24hrs, turn on your skimmer and run carbon to remove it from the water. Repeat the treatment again after a few days to make sure you got them all.

Big note**** Interceptor is very safe for your fish, corals and snails. However, it will kill any inverts like crabs and shrimp. So, if you do have any that you want to keep alive, you have to remove them from your tank during treatment.

There is no need to panic with Red Bugs. They dont generally kill your SPS but just irritate them. A week or 2 with red bugs in your tank will not generally harm your SPS too much.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Spyd is right...the only real safe and effective treatment is interceptor in a whole tank treatment.  I would be very surprised if your acro survives a fresh water dip of any significant amount of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.