Acrylic cutting

Status
Not open for further replies.

parksy

Super Active Member
Anyone in or very close to Sarnia with Acrylic experience interested in cutting up an acrylic tank for me to resize it?

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Score it and bash it with a hammer:). Or use a circular saw:) careful it can melt:)

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I'm not kidding:) go get a plastic blade a very fine tooth saw and go for it

harleymike

Super Active Member
good choice parksy. That 36 inch height is killing the tank.
Good luck man.
You already probably did, but try youtube. Might be some ideas.
mike

parksy

Super Active Member
This is why I posted Dave..LOL
I don't have a router table and im not going to buy one just for this hahahaha

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
A circular saw works fine.  Buy a blade, clamp a straight edge to the tank and use it as a guide.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I do have a router if you want to use one.  Same idea.  Clamp a straight edge and run the router along the guide

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
do not use a circular saw.. lol trust me.. i used a table saw and tried a fine blade and a standard blade.. they chip up the edge alot.. a router and a table are the best way.. i dont think you can score 3/4" and snap it.. for sure not when its already glued into a tank.. lol

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Neopimp link said:
I do have a router if you want to use one.  Same idea.  Clamp a straight edge and run the router along the guide

doing that tank with a router is the way to go.. clamp your straight edge above of the bad side.. 3/4" should be good rimless up to about 22-24" high safely.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Duke link said:
[quote author=Neopimp link=topic=4306.msg39626#msg39626 date=1360259253]

doing that tank with a router is the way to go.. clamp your straight edge above of the bad side.. 3/4" should be good rimless up to about 22-24" high safely.
[/quote]

+1

2 flute slow spiral solid carbide bit if you have a choice, otherwise a quality carbide tipped 2 flute straight cut will also give good results and minimize final finishing.  Number of passes for 3/4 cell will depend on both the router and the bit. 

Since heat stays localized it's better to keep the feed rate or speed of you passes fairly high to prevent melting rather than slowing the cutter speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.