Acrylic

Kayce76

Where can I buy Large Sheets of thick acrylic? Looking into building a large tank for the basement. Preferably close to Guelph.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Plastic world in TO has good prices for retail customers. 1/2" is running around $600 per sheet last time I checked and is basically based on weight of material so (3/4" is 50% thicker so 50% more expensive). Do your research and don't cut corners on edge prep or solvents. My garage is full of failed large DIY tanks that I collect for free material. Poor edge prep is the number one cause of failure by far...second is insufficient top bracing.

Unless you have a high end router that you can set up on an oversized table take your time and buy an edge scraper. I would suggest getting the cutting done by the material supplier and paying extra to get precision cuts. For a one time project it's not worth buying a good plastics blade though a regular fine carbide can be used if you are going to use a router to finish the cuts.

...and be careful about taking advice from hobbyists who have built one tank that has only been together for a year or so...failures usually take some time to develop....

Kayce76

Plastic world in TO has good prices for retail customers. 1/2" is running around $600 per sheet last time I checked and is basically based on weight of material so (3/4" is 50% thicker so 50% more expensive). Do your research and don't cut corners on edge prep or solvents. My garage is full of failed large DIY tanks that I collect for free material. Poor edge prep is the number one cause of failure by far...second is insufficient top bracing.

Unless you have a high end router that you can set up on an oversized table take your time and buy an edge scraper. I would suggest getting the cutting done by the material supplier and paying extra to get precision cuts. For a one time project it's not worth buying a good plastics blade though a regular fine carbide can be used if you are going to use a router to finish the cuts.

...and be careful about taking advice from hobbyists who have built one tank that has only been together for a year or so...failures usually take some time to develop....
Thank you for the insight sir! I'll def check them out! :)