Adding Dc8 To Apex Classic?

Nemo22

i came across a used DC8 that I would daisy chain in with my Eb8 but realize now that dc8 doesn’t use aquabus to connect. I’ve read that the cable I may need is the RJ45 connector?
Anyone have any confirmation of this and/or where I can get one?

Winks

Website Affiliate
I'm not sure what cable you need to connect these two but do know that a RJ45 cable can be purchased at any computer store. IE Staples, Best Buy or even Walmart. It was used to hard wire computer networks together before wirless connection.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Yes, connect the DC8 to the Apex head Module via the RJ45 plug. You need to access the webpages (not fusion) to add it. The installation info is in the comprehensive manual on the Neptune Apex website.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
RJ45 is a basic phone cord. Like a land line phone cord to clarify. (I can not beleive that I need to put that lol). Any BestBuy or electronics store, or dollar store will have them

Nemo22

Hahaha, apparently.

My LSM module is allowing me to setup module but never gets past the flashing orange status light. I have tried "update firmware" and have programmed to "If Moon 000/000 Then ON.

Is this an indication that the module is bricked?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Hahaha, apparently.

My LSM module is allowing me to setup module but never gets past the flashing orange status light. I have tried "update firmware" and have programmed to "If Moon 000/000 Then ON.

Is this an indication that the module is bricked?

Are you using supported cables or have you added any extensions etc? Are the lights flashing anything? If so, which colors are flashing what codes?

Nemo22

Using supported Aquabus cable with brand new 2 LED attachment. LSM module is second hand and is flashing orange status light but shows up in Apex Classic Module setup. LED's flash on for a second when I select the LSM module in module setup but then they turn off and stay off.

current program is;

If Moon 000/000 Then ON

Nemo22

In general, how do you know if an Apex module is bricked and needs to be replaced?

Want to make sure I try everything before buying a new one.

- tried update firmware
- tried install module on apex classic dash
- tried different aquabus port on eb8

Nemo22

Am I missing something? It seems that the RJ45 connector is too big for the port in the DC8 and the Apex Head Unit? Basic phone cable I also tried but maybe I'm just not doing something correctly in adding the DC8 manually.

If I already have an EB8 in use, do I need to set the DC8 up for outlets 9-16?

Currently I've got the switches set to Down, UP, Down.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I have an old dismantled DC8 that I never installed. I just tried a phone cord and it fits perfectly. Are you sure you have a phone cord with 4 wires?

I am not sure how to add it outside what us started in the comprehensive manual.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
If there was only a controller that doesn’t need the use of “their” power strips.

Edit: Proprietary hardware

Last edited:

Nemo22

D9A3904F-534A-423C-BA3D-26A2766F978F.jpeg
3637A879-43D5-48FA-93FC-E64A52CBAEDD.jpeg
I have an old dismantled DC8 that I never installed. I just tried a phone cord and it fits perfectly. Are you sure you have a phone cord with 4 wires?

I am not sure how to add it outside what us started in the comprehensive manual.

Ya phone cord has has four connectors anyway...attached pic.
I find the manual instructions confusing, but I’m not a technical person, I need to see things done. Lol

Nemo22

I managed to get the DC8 configured to the Head Unit using the original phone cable from the photo above. I must have had the switches wrong in my first attempts. The outlets are all "virtual" as well, which I didn't expect to see the first time I got them added. Anyhow, I consider my system Apex ready now. I have added the DC8 to go along with the EB8, added modules WXM (only running a single MP10 right now), PM2 (still need to find PH and Conductivity probes so this module is useless at the moment), LSM module (can't get it to update firmware yet, but may still be possible).

So basically I'm afloat and have some user friendly outlets I have been tinkering with and attempting to program for some fail safes and feed modes (feed and maintenance).

It is an amazing system and has so many capabilities that I'll never see a use for a fraction of them, but it sure does add to the fun of the hobby. I can even check in and work on the tank while I'm away now too which is scary.

Thanks for the help thus far guys, appreciate the feedback! Cheers