Adding fish to an established tank with one fish..

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thatguy

Hi everyone. I started getting into the hobby last year around Christmas but due to going back to work I put a few things on hold like adding more fish. So basically I have a 24g nanocube. a few corals and crabs. And snails. Live rock and etc. I failed to mention I cycled my tank with one clownfish. The dilemma I'm having is that this little guy hasbeen by himself for about 9 months.. is it going to be OK to add a new tank mate after such a long time? Im worried one maybe hostile towards the other..

As I mentioned I was just starting to get into the hobby before I went back to work, therefore I've only been feeding and doing water changes regularly, all good results.. buthave not gotten enough into fish research.. can anyone recommend a certain type of livestock to add next?

Thanks all

R

reeffreak

I would suggest adding another clownfish smaller in size then the one you have now they could possible become mates and there always cool to watch hang with each other or if you don't like that idea maybe adding a goby of some type or blenny

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
reeffreak link said:
I would suggest adding another clownfish smaller in size then the one you have now they could possible become mates and there always cool to watch hang with each other or if you don't like that idea maybe adding a goby of some type or blenny

a mandarin would be nice, but do research on keeping it alive first....
you could always add a couple tangs, you know like a yellow or a naso ....

8)

im just kidding :p

go with something like reeffreak said or blue green chromis or pj cardinals are always cool.

E

estwing

Hi,being a small tank you are limited as you know to how many fish you can put into your tank. You have your show fish which is your clown so I would suggest a fish that will help with your maintenance of the tank such as a diamond or sleeper head goby to keep your sub-straight clean or a sixline to take care of pests such as flat worms. Both these fish will get a long with your clown and not expensive and within the size requirements of the tank. I do have other suggestion that you can check out at the store if neither of these options are what you would like to add  :) Linda

R

reeffreak

estwing link said:
Hi,being a small tank you are limited as you know to how many fish you can put into your tank. You have your show fish which is your clown so I would suggest a fish that will help with your maintenance of the tank such as a diamond or sleeper head goby to keep your sub-straight clean or a sixline to take care of pests such as flat worms. Both these fish will get a long with your clown and not expensive and within the size requirements of the tank. I do have other suggestion that you can check out at the store if neither of these options are what you would like to add  :) Linda

Diamond gobies get quite large after awhile and could be pita to catch him in your tank after he out grows it ... Sixlines are cool

Victoss

reeffreak link said:
[quote author=estwing link=topic=3622.msg31098#msg31098 date=1353688684]

Diamond gobies get quite large after awhile and could be pita to catch him in your tank after he out grows it ... Sixlines are cool
[/quote]

Not to mention he will also bury anything you have on the sand  :p That's what my guy does but I still love him!

msteane

I wouldn't recommend a diamond goby for that tank type.  I had one in my biocube a while back.  Every so often he would "disappear" aka jump over the dividing wall between the main tank and the filter chambers.  Getting him out was a huge pain every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.