Ai Hydra Settings

saltyair

Hey has anyone tried the 75% on all colours to create the 14k spectrum?

how is it working?

right now I am at

60% w
90 rb
95 db
75 v
75 uv
10 green
5 red

8am to 8pm

Kman

Super Active Member
I run my Hydra 52's at 100% for red,green,Blue, Royal Blue, Deep Blue, Violet, 46 UV, White at 30% and 75% for intensity. I tried it at the 14k Spectrum when i first got mine but it wasn't enough blue for my liking.

10AM to 10 PM

saltyair

well I started my 14k acclimation period - ending on June 15th

Red 75
Green 75
Royal Blue 100
Deep Blue 100
Violet 100
UV 100
Cool White 75

i will keep everyone updated

anyone done this? or had issues please lmk

saltyair

Just a quick update i contacted AI direct and asked them what a 14k and 20k setting would be on the hydra. I was very happy and shows that this company takes there products and CS very seriously. They returned my email in 6hrs.

These are the settings they sent me.
a 20K spectrum:
Cool White 50
Deep Blue 65
Royal 80
Violet 50
UV 40
Green 35
Red 25

For a 14K spectrum, something like the following:

Cool White 65
Deep Blue 40
Royal 50
Violet 40
UV 40
Green 35
Red 25

I do have my blues higher and UV - but will be adjusting on ratio for more over all light.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Just a quick update i contacted AI direct and asked them what a 14k and 20k setting would be on the hydra. I was very happy and shows that this company takes there products and CS very seriously. They returned my email in 6hrs.

These are the settings they sent me.
a 20K spectrum:
Cool White 50
Deep Blue 65
Royal 80
Violet 50
UV 40
Green 35
Red 25

For a 14K spectrum, something like the following:

Cool White 65
Deep Blue 40
Royal 50
Violet 40
UV 40
Green 35
Red 25

I do have my blues higher and UV - but will be adjusting on ratio for more over all light.

ya their CS is amazing i was worried when they discontinued the ai sol super blues i emailed them and they assured me that replacement parts will always be available for all models from their website and same thing response in the same day.... i found hydor was very good as well they sent me replacement covers free of charge within a week of e-mail

saltyair

Update:

Its been 4 days with the 14k settings lps, anemone and zoa all seem to be liking this setting. Monti, sunset, fire and ice and portis not liking the new settings.

I do like the setting but some colours do seem to wash out, going to finish off the week than i might adjust with less rb and green - replace with db and uv.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
i did get my hydras from you and in general very happy other than i dont think i would go with the full spectrum thing,next time would just be blues,uv,violet and a higher K while,i love the control of the director as well.
AI should have choices for the colour spectrum when customers are buying.thats the only thing i dont like about these lights

saltyair

We don't like red LED either because they promote algae growth so we keep those at 0%.

I find the green LED's on the Hydra 52's take away the purple look of the tank so we added in some green to balance things out. Otherwise I would keep those at 0% also.

I use to have the same opinion on red and green - I have since changed due to talking with ai and research on light spectrum and how it relates to corals.

I found that red and green together at higher intensity and lowering violet, db actually increased growth of sps and made my anemone expand. I didn't find it promoting algae till I increased db and photo period, I am thinking it was more photo period (experimenting now)

Right now I have one hydra on the 14k the other two on a custom 14k (lower white, red, green ratio)
I am seeing better growth on my millie and birdnest - seeing bleaching on my monti and portis.
no negative effects on lps. (14k)
On the custom 14k - no noticeable changes.

Kman

Super Active Member
I have been running my Hydra 52 since December and I run them now at the settings below. I have a mixed reef with LPS, SPS and soft corals and have no issues growing any of them. I have no algae at all in my DT. The LPS love these settings and my SPS have not had better color. Some of the corals like monti did take some time to adjust and if i add new corals anything past half way up my tank i have to lower the intensity by about 10 % or so for a week or so. Once they are adjusted they color up very nicely and grow very dense. DSC_0125.JPG

Photo period 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM
Intensity 70
Red 75
Green 75
Blue 100
Royal Blue 100
Deep Blue 100
Violet 100
UV 50
Cool White 30

saltyair

I have been running my Hydra 52 since December and I run them now at the settings below. I have a mixed reef with LPS, SPS and soft corals and have no issues growing any of them. I have no algae at all in my DT. The LPS love these settings and my SPS have not had better color. Some of the corals like monti did take some time to adjust and if i add new corals anything past half way up my tank i have to lower the intensity by about 10 % or so for a week or so. Once they are adjusted they color up very nicely and grow very dense. View attachment 3072

Photo period 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM
Intensity 70
Red 75
Green 75
Blue 100
Royal Blue 100
Deep Blue 100
Violet 100
UV 50
Cool White 30

what size tank? how many hydra's

Kman

Super Active Member
I have a 180 and I run three. One for each two foot section. I found sps you really have to be careful when introducing new corals anything past half way point of the tank. To fast and they bleach.

Kman

Super Active Member
Instead of messing with the color when I introduced a new coral I always just reduced the intensity. If I didn't some of them really didn't like it and would bleach bad.

saltyair

After a week I'm am going to change all my lights to the 20k setting and lowering the red and green by 5%
The 14k setting increased par significantly but I think it lowered pur
The 20k seems to have the best effect so far I'm thinking the pur is better @ 20k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk