Aiptasia

Mark092

I have two pretty large aiptasia growing in my rockwork. Just wondering if anyone has had experience treating with kalkwasser before?

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
No but I found my single peppermint shrimp took care of all my issues with it. Even nibbled on my two big ones till they where gone

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Take the rock out and boil it. I have peppermint shrimp that don't do a thing to aiptasia.

I just got the pound of pickling lime, and plan to use that on the inevitable spread of them to the new tank. Even with sterilizing 90% of mys existing rock, I know they will survive. God how I hate them. I've been using aiptasia x but if you don't suck the stem out after treatment (or can't) they just come back, even tiny ones.

zoomster

I learned this trick from a very knowledgeable member here...
For the odd one I have had, I used a regular syringe with a long tube ( like airline tubing )
And about 3-5 ml of white vinegar, put the end of the tube up to mouth of the polyp, and slowly press the plunger - Aptasia gone, no fish or coral hurt.
Good for when you first catch it but probably moot if you already have a major breakout.
Just my 0.02 $ bud.

c31979839

I'm going throw my 2¢ into the discussion as well.
Using the same equipment as the previous poster, (syringe and airline tubing) but instead of using vinegar, I use water. Specifically boiling RO water and slowly injection it onto the aiptasia. The aiptasia will slowly shrivel up and seem to die. You might need to fill up the syringe a couple of times. This will annoy the aiptasia so much that it will lose its footing, and you can reverse the syringe and suck up all remaining aiptasia into the syringe and dispose.

One of the things I like about this method is that you're removing whatever bits of the aiptasia with the syringe. Less likelyhood of bits of aiptasia floating around and setting up camp somewhere else.

Take the rock out and boil it. I have peppermint shrimp that don't do a thing to aiptasia.

I have read that Peppermints don't always work. I picked up a couple and wasn't sure if they were actually killing the Aiptasia or not. I read on another forum to feed the Aiptasia food that the shrimp like thus giving them the flavour of that food. I crushed up some flake food, mixed it with water and fed it to several of the Aiptasia a few times. A month or so later I didn't see any more Aiptasia and haven't seen any since. This might not work for everybody but it seemed to work for me. :D

However I had tons of Aiptasia in the tank. If you only have a couple then one of the other methods mentioned would likely be more appropriate. :cool:

Nick James

In my aiptasia experience with my current tank I had 1-2 medium sized ones I used aiptasia x on. I noticed a few babies here and there shortly after. I got two peppermint shrimp in case one was a lazy $&@* and didn't eat them. I have not seen another aiptasia since adding the shrimps. I could see how feeding the aiptasia flake food would lure the shrimp. They harass my dendros anytime I feed them.