Algae (diatom) will it end....

Bfofre

So I have a question... Its been approx 3mnths, I have introduced some easy softie Corals and 4 fish. I haven't seen any jump in my levels. After my cycle, I had a diatom bloom so I added a clean up crew.. 20 margerita snails, 10 hermits. They've cleaned up the rock quite nice..
My question, everyday I come home to the glass covered in haze of brown Algae. (likely diatoms) I just preformed 25% water change on weekend, refreshed the carbon, and GFO.
Is this normal? Any idea when it should subside?

Been ongoing for 3 weeks now...

jroovers

Super Active Member
Fine brown algal growth on the glass is normal.  Mine builds up every second or third day and I try and keep the glass cleaned daily or every other day.  Diatoms are more snot like and tend to develop on any new substrate or rock introduced to the tank IME, and then the eventually dissipate once the food source they are feeding off is used up. 

Bfofre

Ok,,,so when i run the mag cleaner across the glass the buildup washes away like dust?!

I am surprised how much coverage i am getting daily though...
I don't remember this from my previous reef.

Will this subside with maturity?

jroovers

Super Active Member
Yes, that is normal that is goes away like dust.  If you have a ton of it each day though, may mean your nutrient levels are a bit elevated, but if you have softies and LPS primarily that may be ok.  You will always have some level of it, and it will vary with your nutrient levels, IME.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I dose vinegar and it was totally eliminated but I am weening my tank off vinegar because of the bacteria clogging my socks and reactors and the brown algae is back, I am going to go back to my sulphur denitrator when my NO3 starts to rise and Phos Down for PO4 as I hate paying top dollar for RUST!

Jewel

This is quite normal. I get a build up every couple of days. This is where your maintenance comes in. I have read that it may be caused by too much light. I know we all strive to light up our tanks the best we can but I do believe as others do that LPS dominated tanks don't require a ton of light.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
hey Cal,weren't you regenerating your GFO? i found this video and am considering  it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=e9Zw-PEtENk#t=536

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
pulpfiction1 link said:
hey Cal,weren't you regenerating your GFO? i found this video and am considering  it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=e9Zw-PEtENk#t=536
Actually I just switched to Phoz Down but that is what I was doing, I used the BRS fluidized cartridge not the DI cartridge and used Home Hardware lye crystals, they sell them for soap making rather than drain cleaner so I think it is purer, I also found that the maxi-jet pumps didn't last and I got a RIO 400 or 600 (can't remember) that works great and lasts.