Algae Issue

nelson

So I recently set-up and cycled my new 125g tank. It has approx, 110 pounds live rock and 100 pounds of live sand. For lights I currently have two Ecotech Radion XR30 Gen 4 Pros. I measured the levels daily and watched the whole nitrogen cycle. Over the last day, I noticed a large amount of algae grow in the tank, both green algae but there is also quite a bit of bubble algae. The first thing I did to try and correct the problem was put some snails in and turn the intensity of the lights down. The snails are the only livestock in the tank right now. I tested the phosphate and it is 0.71ppm. I do plan on running a GFO reactor. Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate all 0. Why am I having this issue in the tank and how do I correct it. Thanks in advance.

Josh

Not uncommon with a new tank, the snails will eat the algae however the nutrients have no way to be exported so snails dont actually fix the problem. You might want to get on that GFO reactor and do some water changes to get the phosphates down. my guess is the phosphates came with the sand. Typically liverock doesnt leech phosphates into the water.

EnzoCosta

The cleaners are great like emerald crabs and do a lot of work. Also be aware of tank placement in the house, direct sunlight increases algea. Lastly I use a UV sterilizer which I like a lot. My algea was under control and you can adjust the flow and it can help defend against ich.

Enjoy your tank!

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Yes, snails eat algae, but then their waste has no way of being exported and then just feeds the current algae. Grow, eat, poop, grow...the lovely circle of life. A GFO reactor with some HC GFO will help a lot on a tank that size. What other equipment (sump, skimmer, circulation) are you running? Nutrient export is key at controlling nitrate / phosphate levels.

nelson

Thanks everyone for the advise. I will provide an update for everyone here. What I thought was bubble algae actually appears to be air bubbles stuck to the rocks. I moved a rock and all the bubbles left the rock and went to the top of the tank and popped with no algae. I also had someone else look at the tank and the algae is diatom algae. The algae is starting to get better. I installed a Phosban 550 GFO reactor on the tank and the phosphates have dropped from 0.76 to 0.25. In terms of nutrient export, I do regular water changes (about 10% weekly) as well as a Reef Octopus INT150 skimmer in the sump. I have two Jebao SW-8 pumps for water circulation in the tank. Is there anything else I can do to help the algae.

Josh

careful not to overdo the gfo, stripping that phosphate too quickly will kill/bleach coral. Always start 1/2 or 1/4 of recommended dose to start.

nelson

careful not to overdo the gfo, stripping that phosphate too quickly will kill/bleach coral. Always start 1/2 or 1/4 of recommended dose to start.

I just bought some bulk gfo. So I dont know how much to use. But I havent transferred any corals over yet. Just some fish, clean up crew and my brittle star (but the star was added yesterday after the majority of phosphates were stripped). Is it safe to add corals after the phosphates have been stripped?