Algae on birdsnest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seggsy

Got this birdsnest - had some green hair algae (I think) but I wasn't worried - I have a few types of snails and a couple of tangs, so I figured it would go away.  But it is getting worse.

The dead white part seems to be consistant and not growing - hoping life will grow back there soon.

So, any advice on the algae?

tank2011073.jpg

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Seggsy link said:
Got this birdsnest - had some green hair algae (I think) but I wasn't worried - I have a few types of snails and a couple of tangs, so I figured it would go away.  But it is getting worse.

The dead white part seems to be consistant and not growing - hoping life will grow back there soon.

So, any advice on the algae?

I would just try to remove as much as you can manually. However, If you think that the algae is going to kill the entire colony, I would break off the algae covered portion of the skeleton to prevent further damage. Anything white on the skeleton is dead so you can cut/break if off without hurting the actual coral.

Seggsy

OK - I will give it a shot.  Can't really break off the white - it's the central core of the piece.  Gotta go and find a toothbrush - wish me luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.