Algae On Coral

Fishit

image.jpg
Ok I bought this guy with this spot of algae on him seams to be killing him how do I get rid of it to stop any further damage

Kman

Super Active Member
Is it in the skeleton? A dermel tool could grind that section off or a chisel. You could epoxy that section. Super glue would work to on that spot.

Kman

Super Active Member
You could try the super glue it is easiest. But if that doesn't work you can cut it out or try epoxy on it. To be honest a few polyps is better then all of it.

Kman

Super Active Member
Look up green boring algae and see if it looks like that.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Unfortunately that Goniapora does very poorly in the aquarium, it has a low survivabilty rate. You probably won't be able to save it.

Fishit

Saved it just fine all I did was supper glue the algea and quick coral dip and it's been great since thanks for the help guys

Fishit

Aparantly you seem to know allot we'll the coral was bought from a store with algea on it so it was supper glued as somebody sugested and it killed the algea and has been living hapely ever after for a while now so no you are incorrect do your reserch flower pot is not imposible to keep maybe for you it was but not for me and many others ! I have very hard to keep sps that grows like weeds yet a colonie of mushrooms just died in my tank so are thoes imposible to keep also it's the only coral I've lost !there are many articles out there to prove this thanks no better proff then it being algea free and alive this long after this was posted so tell me who is correct you or my alive coral ?

Kjay

We bought coral off fishit today and many times in the past tanks immaculate and coral in question looks great very happy with it.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I didn't say it was impossible just that it has a poor survival rate in the hobby, a couple months doesn't prove survivability, a lot of that coral is sold and dies in the aquarium which is cruel to the coral. I wasn't questioning your ability to keep coral and I did the research, that is why I won't purchase that coral.

Skim

You definitely want to feed that beast. From what I have heard the Red and Blue are the hardest to keep. If it was me I would keep it lower light setting with some nice flow where it can a constant food source from the current but I would look into a good powder food like TLF has one just for Goniapora.
Good Luck and hope it out grows your tank!

Skim

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Reef roids was made for gonipora. A trick I learnt is if it ever is requiring a big feeding, fill a container just large enough to fully cover it with tank water, and mix a decent amount of reef roids into it and plop gonipora in and leave in for 15 min with maybe an occasional stir with pipette

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk