Am I on the right track?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quikcolin

Hey guys, I wanted to lean on your for a second to make sure I'm on the right track with my newly setup Biocube 14 gallon.

I cleaned the tank with water/vinegar and rinsed it out thoroughly.

I have added the Bahama white sand and 12lbs ish of Eco Reefer rock.

I have mixed up my salt and water small amounts at a time and slowly introduced the salt water to the tank which had the sand and rock already placed.

I have the heater on (currently at 78 degrees)

The pump is circulating the water around, and working nicely.

I just completed all the above last night.

I do not have any "media" in the tank.  I bought an "intank media basket" and the media to go with it.  Should be here Thursday.  Intank suggested that I don't use his media basket until the cycle is complete.  That all I need to have in the tank is filter floss.  So I've done just that, I have floss in the tank (just added that this afternoon)... the rest of the chambers are empty.

I just put a cocktail shrimp into the tank (you know the ones you get at the grocery store, they say "pre cooked, with tail" on the bag).  I removed the tail and stuck him into the tank.  He sank behind the rock and is laying on the sand bed.  I hope this little guy will get my cycle in motion.

Keep in mind, my sand and rock are not currently "live".  So I'm really starting from scratch here.

How does everything sound soo far?  I have check the water with a Hydometer and it was 1.021, however that was when the tank had cold water in it.  I haven't check it again... now that the tank is up to temp, as it just read the instructions (typical guy eh lol) and it said to fill the hydrometer with salt water and let it sit for 24hours (it's new) to calibrate before performing a reading.

I just want to make sure I'm doing things right.

Please feel free to send me your suggestions.

Thanks,
Colin

PS - here's a pic of the tank as it sits currently - still a little foggy.

photo.jpg

quikcolin

Thanks very much!  I'm astonished  :eek: hahahaha... I've spent the last week solid online searching forums and reading up on others successes and failures...

When exactly do you recommend doing my first water test... and what "test kit" should I buy (and where?).  There are sooo many test kits available... and I have no idea what's what?

Thanks!

xxmurrxx

I would just pick up an API basic master saltwater kit (Nitrate, Nitrite, PH, Ammonia).

You might want to throw in a little chunk of live rock to seed your base, not sure if your planning this after your cycle?

quikcolin

API basic master saltwater kit (would BigAls carry that?).  Thanks for the advice!

I have been thinking of grabbing a small piece of live rock, not sure where to get it thou?  I am terrified of getting a rock that is loaded with hitchhikers (bad ones) that will screw my tank up before it's even started...  :-\ ????

xxmurrxx

Well chances are the hitchhikers will die off throughout your cycle but the bacteria will not completely die off.

Not sure about Big Al's.. Petsmart in Windsor carries them.

S

shayneh

IMO the api kits suck and most of the tests aren't very accurate. I would recommend the salifert test kits....wayyyyy more accurate! If you get a piece of lr just make sure there arent any nasties on it you can also give it a soak in freshwater same temp and ph and that will drive any critters hiding inside out.....

Blob-79

Super Active Member
ya I imagine big als would have a kit. If you want I can see what I got in my sump, and bring you a peice next time I head to london. I go there quite often.

xxmurrxx

I agree they are not the best but for the basic readings I think they are a good option.
I would go other brands for testing, alk, phos, mg, etc.

shayneh link said:
IMO the api kits suck and most of the tests aren't very accurate. I would recommend the salifert test kits....wayyyyy more accurate! If you get a piece of lr just make sure there arent any nasties on it you can also give it a soak in freshwater same temp and ph and that will drive any critters hiding inside out.....

quikcolin

shayneh link said:

Okay, sounds like this is the one then.  "Salifert Test Kit".  check  ;D  How often do you have to replace these kits?  How many water tests do they last?

Check your PM Blog-79, I might just take you up on your offer!

quikcolin

Blob-79 link said:
ya I imagine big als would have a kit. If you want I can see what I got in my sump, and bring you a peice next time I head to london. I go there quite often.

LOL - I keep trying to send you a PM about this, but it doesn't seem to be working?  Anyhow... if your offer still stands, I'd be happy to snag a small piece from your tank.  Just let me know when you're going to be in the London area next and how much you want for it  ;D.

Thanks!!

Blob-79

Super Active Member
:) ya its working..got a couple mails from you it seems. I will respond shortly..working.

for the base measurments api isnt too bad..they are bad still lol

you may find yourself kicking yourself in the future buying api...I did. For just keeping track of your cycle they are fine. But it seems to me your going to go farther in this hobby then you think. call it intuition lol. given what I think..your going to want a good test kit. If im wrong and you are going to stick to FOWLR then api is fine

quikcolin

Okay haha, they messages I sent weren't appearing in the "outbox" for some reason  ???  Sorry for PM bombing you lol

I'll pick up a decent kit, makes sense to do it right!

Thanks everyone!

quikcolin

ricklalonde link said:
Looking good! Do you plan on making it a reef tank or a FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock).

I had to Google FOWLR for the last post from Blog-79 hahaha

I'm honestly not sure what the difference is between a FOWLR and a Reef Tank?  I walked into this saltwater world excited to watch coral grow and have 1 or 2 colourful fish to enjoy... but I see myself becoming obsessed with learning about all the different corals, etc. 

What is the difference from a FOWLR and a reef tank?  ???

Thanks for your compliment - my girlfriend had a hand in arranging the rock lol  ;)

quikcolin

ricklalonde link said:
If you want to save a copy of your PM's. You can just check the \"Save a copy in my outbox\" check box.  

Gotcha  ;) - thanks for showing me that

Thanks guys - most likely things will evolve into a reef... Ive read that a lot of people of mounting new lights into their biocubes that are conducive to some of the more sensitive corals etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.