Amino Acids??

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill@IA

As I was driving into work today I got a call from Phil aka "pulpfiction1". He said his new coral system was doing very well and he was very happy with the way the colours in his SPS were turning out. However he had a concern he might not be doing enough and enquired about Amino Acids. "Do I need Amino Acids??" he asked, "Will my coral use them?"

The answer is NO and Yes. Yes his coral need Amino Acids. It is actually part of the nutrient uptake, 21% in fact.  Does he need to add Amino Acids to the tank?? Maybe- Maybe Not. If his system isn't providing the Amino Acids his coral can't make themselves,  through the foods added or fed to the fish, the answer is Yes. (As seen by many hobbysists running ULNS systems) However since his system is  so new and unlikely in a true ULNS state, the additional Amino Acids could just promote other undesirable algae etc. etc...I suggested he wait and see and his coral will tell him over time.  After all he did say he was happy with his colours and growth.

Here is an excellent study/find, supporting the need and use of Amino Acids in a reef aquarium.  http://www.coralscience.org/main/articles/nutrition-6/amino-acids

Hope this clarifies this a little more, Phil.

:)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I started adding them, quite slowly however, and my numbers are still 0.00

I keep waiting for a big algae bloom or some sign things are wonky.  None yet, although ORP increased right away, and has stayed high.  I don't think it's a calibration issue as it happened on the first small dose (I'm using seachem 'fuel' as a trial). 

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Salty Cracker link said:
I started adding them, quite slowly however, and my numbers are still 0.00

I keep waiting for a big algae bloom or some sign things are wonky.  None yet, although ORP increased right away, and has stayed high.  I don't think it's a calibration issue as it happened on the first small dose (I'm using seachem 'fuel' as a trial).
you mean you are using sea hems buttered popcorn.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Darryl_V link said:
Here is a question Im not sure about........

Does the addition of AA's contribute nitrate or phosphate to the system?

I am going to say that because AA's are the building block of proteins, and will directly contribute to an increase in nitrates. If unused, AAs would probably still increase nitrates and phosphates.

220px-D%2BL-Alanine.gif

jroovers

Super Active Member
teebone110 link said:
[quote author=Darryl_V link=topic=3397.msg28729#msg28729 date=1351351749]
Here is a question Im not sure about........

Does the addition of AA's contribute nitrate or phosphate to the system?

I am going to say that because AA's are the building block of proteins, and will directly contribute to an increase in nitrates. If unused, AAs would probably still increase nitrates and phosphates.

220px-D%2BL-Alanine.gif

[/quote]

I would agree with this. AAs are just pieces of proteins essentially. In theory, anytime you feed protein based foods, such as mysys, you are likely adding AAs to an extent. How the fish breaks these proteins down and to what size will likely dictate what corals are able to utilize the waste as food. I'm guessing a fair portion of this waste ends up in the collection cup, but a good portion likely remains available as food lower down the chain.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Is everyone that is striving for a low nutrient system still using a protein based supplement to balance levels in tank?

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
unibob link said:
Is everyone that is striving for a low nutrient system still using a protein based supplement to balance levels in tank?
I dont really understand the question......

We all does proteins.....in the food.  If your talking strictly AA's I doubt it. + what is your definition of low nutrient...

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Darryl_V link said:
[quote author=unibob link=topic=3397.msg46081#msg46081 date=1364236821]

We all does proteins.....in the food.  If your talking strictly AA's I doubt it. + what is your definition of low nutrient...
[/quote]

I wouldn't have posted it in this thread if I didn't mean a supplement itself. AA, fuel, and all the others. Nice to know you answer for others as well. Low nutrient being low phosphate/nitrate running biopellets/cubes

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I'm still on the 'fuel'.  Phosphates are 0.003 ppm and I never got a bloom of any kind. 

Very good results so far, however I increased feedings at the same time I started using fuel.  I do plan to keep using it though.

Just added 3 drops of lugols today for the the first time, plan to watch things for a week or more and see if I see anything good/bad from that. 

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
unibob link said:
[quote author=Darryl_V link=topic=3397.msg1#msg1 date=1364239440]
[quote author=unibob link=topic=3397.msg46081#msg46081 date=1364236821]

[/quote]

I wouldn't have posted it in this thread if I didn't mean a supplement itself. AA, fuel, and all the others. Nice to know you answer for others as well. Low nutrient being low phosphate/nitrate running biopellets/cubes
[/quote]Sorry Jerry.  Fuel is more than just AA's...it also has a carbon source.

My personally opinion is AA's work but if you feed good food and enough of it you wont need AA's.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I am running a ULNS using prodibio....no pellets yet. Nitrate and phosphate undetectable.
I am seeing good growth and colour and feed mysis daily. However, I did order KZ AA just to see what might happen.....still waiting for it tho. I also ordered KZ potassium as well for the same testing reasons.....would really like to get these and try them out soon so I can share my results.
Like Darryl said tho, some additives are not just AA.....so using fuel(as well as others....not singling fuel out here lol)IMO is not a true test of just boosting AA to see what happens.

spyd

Super Active Member
I was dosing AA's for a while there. I started getting cyano eventually. I have no idea if this was actually caused by dosing AA's or not. I have since stopped using them completely. The only thing I have been using the AA's for now is soaking my large damaged hollywood stunner chalice. It has been doing wonders for it and I think it is turning around for the better now.

I found my colours on LPS looked a little better when I was dosing AA as well. The colours are still great, but, not as sharp as they were well dosing. I am just scared to try it again as that cyano was a PITA to get rid of.

C

copperkills

Ive been dosing KZ AA and Pohls extra for almost two months....brought some brown coloured dead frags back to life quicker than I thought possible!!! My LPS dom tank has definately coloured up overall.  I do have some light cyano but its flow related.  I continue on dosing both long term.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
copperkills link said:
Ive been dosing KZ AA and Pohls extra for almost two months....brought some brown coloured dead frags back to life quicker than I thought possible!!! My LPS dom tank has definately coloured up overall.  I do have some light cyano but its flow related.  I continue on dosing both long term.

This is very good info!! I have seen a few reefers having good results with their sps by using pohls extra. I find that I will get cyano as well when my flow dies down due to clogged power heads.....I try to keep them clean because I see good results with high flow and also find it helps keep cyano and other algae away as well.
Did you start dosing one before the other by any chance? It would be beneficial to know which KZ product helped the most.....pohls extra or the AA....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

C

copperkills

Unfortunately I cant help answer that, I started dosing both at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.