Amphipods Vs Mysis Or Both

jack

hey i was wondering whats better to have in the fudge and what will out compete?

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Amphipods are good in a sump but due to their thicker shell aren't a good food source for things. Mysis you can only buy frozen here it is illegal in Canada to be in possession or buy live mysis without a special breeders permit in which case you have to treat the waste water with chlorine and have facility inspections by the ministry of natural resources. They would ruin our Great Lakes if ever got loose! The one thing you should put in your fuge for sure are copepods. Tiger are the easiest to get a sustainable population and the biggest, tangerine are a little harder to get going and smaller but a lot more nutrition. My amphipods and copepods have been happily living together for years and have not needed to add any more ever again. Plus your corals and fish will love all the free nauplii for treats.

dcartier

I think you are actually asking about mysid shrimp, rather than mysis shrimp. As scubasteve mentioned, the MNR would be very concerned about mysis escaping captivity, as they are freshwater, and mysid shrimp are saltwater (so they could live in a fuge), unlike mysis.

Dennis