Another WTH is this question

Marz

I usually spend a fair chunk of time in front of my tank, looking for new growth, making sure my few corals are doing ok. I have seen this almost "translucent" growth on the rock of my ricordea. There was a black almost "pit" that was attached to some stringy substance floating and then it was pulled back to the translucent growth.

I have provided 2 pictures, and I will turn the ric around when I do the WC to get a better picture. Any thoughts? The pictures aren't great, but for now this is what i have. Thoughts? (as usual thanks for ANY help :) )

Pic 1 is of the growth that has started on the rock. The black spot was attached to the string and then it came back to the growth.
Growthfront_zps4b9a4e5a.jpg

The next picture of from the other side, much more clear.
growth_zpsb7e19e35.jpg

reefgeek

my best guess based on blurry pictures is a type of tube worm. Does it ever have strands of long mucus like substance trailing out of the top? if so the tube worm it is. Harmless filter feeder.

Marz

Thanks! I also had a better picture on my tank build. Vermitid snail was also the ID. Tried to bust it up but didnt do a great job...it's rebuilding as we speak :)

harleymike

Super Active Member
Ya you have too kill them. I usually bust up the tube and pull the worm out and flush him.
There are some fish that eat them. Copperband i believe is one.
They can get out of control, spread like crazy.

harleymike

Super Active Member
vermeted snail. Sorry this is what they are called I guess. I just call them tube worms. Hate them.
I might pick up a fish that eats them.
Not another copperband.  Wasted enough money on those.