Any ideas -Jebao pumps not working

shayne horst

I have 2 Jebao RW-4 pumps (one master, one slave)
Both were working fine. Then I checked 2 days ago and both pumps were not working. All settings on the control boxes were on and where they should be.
I have tried unplugging from the wall, unplugging the pump power cord from the control box. Lights come on but the pumps are still not working. I know these are not the most expensive pumps and reviews are mixed about them but they have been working fine for over a year. I could see if one pump stopped working i would just replace it, but both at the same time seems odd. I just don't want to throw them out.
I'm hoping that someone else has had the same problem and perhaps found a solution or at least have a idea of something else I can try.

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
It's always the power supply, I had the same issue, try turning them on then grabbing something to see if you can spin the impeller while it's running, if it starts it may run for awhile but will likely still stop, mine did this for a couple months then bit the dust completely, power supply fails and doesn't send enough current to them to keep running

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Agreed...power supply.
Pumps aren't terrible, but the power supplies are fresh out of the wuhan market. Made as cheap as possible, and with (as the chinese say) "pranned obsolescence" factored in. They sell replacement power supplies, but they are almost the price of new pumps/power supplies so you end up buying a new one every 1-3 years. I think everyone on the forum has tried jaebo pumps at some point. Sometimes you luck out and you get a "good" one that will last 5 years, but I know I never found one of those (I had powerheads, a wavemaker and a DC return pump...all had power supply failures).

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
This companies products are hit and miss. I have had pumps last years and others that just made it past 1 year. Their main retailer used to have a note on their products that suggest replacing the equipment yearly.

bluewater

Try alternate power supply. They will spin on lower voltage, I've had 12v work. They may need decalcifying. Citric acid is probably best (I can't find it for a reasonable price). My compromise is to soak impeller and ceramic bushings in vinegar.

There are components inside the pump (MOSFETs). Encapsulated in epoxy. Good luck digging them out. In the big picture the are still cheap enough for me to replace occasionally.

Best of luck

Winks

Website Affiliate
I bought one of these 3 years ago and still have lots left for another year.

It's on Amazon

Yogti Citric Acid Powder, 5 LB​