Any Rc Fans Around

What RC do you enjoy most

• Total voters

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Well I used to fly the RC planes when I was a teen, then I went to the nitro monster trucks because they are just awesome and don't meet the maker when you crash like the planes but the other day I got the bright idea (or stupid in the wife's mind) to build a massive tanker RC boat. I decided a 5 foot Edmund Fitzgerald would be pretty sweet :) it is iconic after all. So far working on my mold and getting all the ribs in place so I can cover with duck tape then coat it in Fiberglas to make my hull. This thing is gonna be a beast. One I get that done and final cutting and sanding I will use basswood for the main deck and balsa for all the cabins and hatch covers. Guess next will be a mini tug to push the tanker around lol :D. I'm glad parts have come down in price over the years since I need everything other than a servo.

Must say being my first scratch built model it's a hell of a lot more fun than a kit. Kits just have better detail but kinda takes away from the self accomplishment when your parts were pre formed lol. If this works out well I'm building a battleship that shoots 1/4" ball bearings and Bb's. Those YouTube videos of them battling is awesome.

Maybe an aptasia zapping RC submarine anyone lmao that would be epic. Or a damsel hunter haha.

Will add some pics soon.

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Well I used to fly the RC planes when I was a teen, then I went to the nitro monster trucks because they are just awesome and don't meet the maker when you crash like the planes but the other day I got the bright idea (or stupid in the wife's mind) to build a massive tanker RC boat. I decided a 5 foot Edmund Fitzgerald would be pretty sweet :) it is iconic after all. So far working on my mold and getting all the ribs in place so I can cover with duck tape then coat it in Fiberglas to make my hull. This thing is gonna be a beast. One I get that done and final cutting and sanding I will use basswood for the main deck and balsa for all the cabins and hatch covers. Guess next will be a mini tug to push the tanker around lol :D. I'm glad parts have come down in price over the years since I need everything other than a servo.

Must say being my first scratch built model it's a hell of a lot more fun than a kit. Kits just have better detail but kinda takes away from the self accomplishment when your parts were pre formed lol. If this works out well I'm building a battleship that shoots 1/4" ball bearings and Bb's. Those YouTube videos of them battling is awesome.

Maybe an aptasia zapping RC submarine anyone lmao that would be epic. Or a damsel hunter haha.

Will add some pics soon.
Was into some rc as a kid... but Damn building a battle ship that shoots ball bearings is just plain awesome . Good luck on the build can wait to see pics and when it's operational I wanna see some vids

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Was into some rc as a kid... but Damn building a battle ship that shoots ball bearings is just plain awesome . Good luck on the build can wait to see pics and when it's operational I wanna see some vids
Go to YouTube and search RC battleship battle it's awesome. They sink you get patch with balsa blow off and after an hour back at it :)

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Super cool Steve. Love to see some pics

I've always wanted to get into rc drift cars. But never know where to start :(
And plus, the wife says I already have too many expensive hobbies ;)

Sony Xperia Z3
Ya I reminded her a kit this size is $800+ and my total build for the tanker electronics and all will only be $200 tops. Plus I can re use electronics on a different one and make it a wall hangar lol. The shooting battleship will probably be $200 just to get the guns shooting by remote but is worth it to play real life battleship. My excuse is its for me and the boy to have something to do :)

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Ya I reminded her a kit this size is $800+ and my total build for the tanker electronics and all will only be $200 tops. Plus I can re use electronics on a different one and make it a wall hangar lol. The shooting battleship will probably be $200 just to get the guns shooting by remote but is worth it to play real life battleship. My excuse is its for me and the boy to have something to do :)
Lol. At least you have a kid to take the blame.
The only kid in our house is yours truly ;)

Sony Xperia Z3

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
I got a 450 size electric heli... never did get it out this year though.

to fragile lol :)
Exactly why I left planes alone lmao... It's really fun but man when your too busy doing tricks and forget to watch the clock the battery juice seems to disappear quicker hahaha. And after crashing a $800 plane it kinda ruins wanting to do tricks. My monster truck has flipped worse than sprint cars, a size 12 boot to flip it over and back up and running.

GanderGreg

I had few electrics as a kid. Trucks cars and a boat. Got a 1/10th nitro buggy about 10 years ago. Wrecked it and didn't get it back together. It was too fast for it's own good lol.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Here's some pics of my duct tape mold hahaha gettin fibreglass this weekend so hopefully have a rough hull by Monday or Tuesday..... Then comes a lot of Dremel and sanding. Damn super glue on the finger tips is ticking me off where's my knife I need to shed a layer :)
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Should give an idea what's going on...

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
been to RCGroups.com ? A wealth of information there....

Also been to Banggood.com ? Cheap RC stuff there. PM me for a referral worth $10. No affiliation, just pointing out a bargain.

Cheers

Ya I have read through some stuff there but I use it more for ideas lol I'm more of a scratch build guy kits became too easy :). As for parts the local shop treats me pretty good and I hate online stuff it kills our brick and mortar stores and damn shipping. We now only have two hobby stores nearby one in Cambridge one in Kitchener and there used to be 5 :(. If I really need something specific hobby hobby in Toronto is amazing