any tips for new hobyists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kleko

hello im new into salt water and have already made major mastakes and had some fish die and such. i have only had the tank for a day.
if there are any things you did wrong as a begininer could you post below so that i hopefully do not make the same mestakes this would be awesome
Thanks,
mason

M

marks69

take your time, check your water.  do lots of water changes at the start when you add livestock.  do alot of reading

D

Dr BlueThumb

Take your time and be patient. plan out your ultimate goal and maximum budget.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
READ READ READ.... There is so much information out on the net and it is so easy to get to.  Just google almost anythign and you will have your answers.  Research new eauipment, each new fish for compatibility and such.

I just started in the hobby and basically get a bunch of pet rocks for a month with a small cleanup crew in there.  I left it that way until I knew I had the water at least understood.  after about 2 months f being teased about my pet rocks and being happy just watchign my rocks come alive I got a clouple clowns. Had one die by way of getting sucked in the pump for the skimmer.  Other then that been good so far
:)

Kleko

thanks alot guys this will help me tons if you have any more suggestions or dos and donts let me know

DJ Oetting

exactly what Dr. bluethumb said this hobby is all about patience i learned from goin to fast the first time around and though its hard to hold back it will cause you nothing but problems in the long run. Make sure to plan everything ahead take notes even if it helps and read lots of threads on cycling, and basically everything else you are going to want to know about the hobby before you start. After you have done all that and get you're tank goin sit back and enjoy the beauty for a while :)

DJ Oetting

also there is a thread on here somewhere called good read for newbies i highly recommend reading it before you get started it is a great read

DJ Oetting

couldnt find it but here is a link give it a read it should help you to get a good understanding and to get started http://www.fishlore.com/SaltwaterBeginners.htm

C

Cal_stir

a new tank will go thru many blooms, (algae, cyano, diatoms, etc.), don't panic, clean as much out as you can physically,let the cycles take they're course (usually a couple weeks), add a cleanup crew, don't add livestock too fast, don't add corals for a few months.
QUARANTINE new arrivals for a couple weeks, marine fish diseases are NASTY, especially ICH.
I know it is hard to,(I've been there) but be PATIENT, patience is the key to success.
It starts out as an ugly duckling but with patience it turns into a thing of beauty.
Good luck with your Wet Pets

Kleko

Thanks guys allot for all your help my tank was doign horbible and is now runing to to the way It is supposed to i will nto be adding live stock for a while

iantower

Learn to lie to your wife/gf about how much you spent when you went shopping at you LFS... everything was on for 50% when she asks lol... no woman can resist a sale!
Cheers!

G

Gietz

iantower link said:
Learn to lie to your wife/gf about how much you spent when you went shopping at you LFS... everything was on for 50% when she asks lol... no woman can resist a sale!
Cheers!

i love this recommendation  ;D

S

shayneh

LOL  if my wife asks it was $20.00 

Q. How much was that new light fixture?
A. $20

Q. Where did that new tank come from?
A. A friend built it for $20

Status
Not open for further replies.