Anyone Ever Kept Discus?

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I guess at this point the most important question is how readily available are discus and compatible plants? If it is going to require hours of travel or ridiculous shipping costs, i give up already!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Our retail store usually always has discus in stock.

They're fine with plants for the most part. They may peck at some more delicate plants. But the more robust plants like Val's, Java furn and such will be perfectly fine. They may make short work of things like cabomba and other more delicate plants

Sony Xperia Z3

heath

Distinguished Member
I had toyed with I idea of doing a planted tank but, if I can't keep a cheap house plant alive I figured that I was out of my league, they are nice tho...

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Problem with plants and discus is that discus like a temp that most plants don't.

Also they require really clean water and huge water changes frequently or it will stunt their growth.

To do it right it's a big commitment.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Problem with plants and discus is that discus like a temp that most plants don't.

Also they require really clean water and huge water changes frequently or it will stunt their growth.

To do it right it's a big commitment.
Discus can be kept at lower temps with no issues. A temp to keep both plants and fish happy can easily be achieved.

Also regarding clean water. Yes they do better with cleaner environment, but will tolerate less than ideal conditions that will not affect their growth, colour and or health. Ideal conditions will be needed if you're trying to breed them though. That's a whole other can of worms

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I think the biggest hurdle will be learning about all the plants. Will be like getting familiar with coral all over again!

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
I
Discus can be kept at lower temps with no issues. A temp to keep both plants and fish happy can easily be achieved.

Also regarding clean water. Yes they do better with cleaner environment, but will tolerate less than ideal conditions that will not affect their growth, colour and or health. Ideal conditions will be needed if you're trying to breed them though. That's a whole other can of worms
can only really speak from my experience. At one time in my life I had discus fever. I was able to breed them once.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
I think the biggest hurdle will be learning about all the plants. Will be like getting familiar with coral all over again!

I've always loved the look of a nicely done Planted Aquarium.

But once you look at what's involved. Like lighting, co2, special substrates. I always say to myself "Why f#*%ing bother?" I just start another reef tank. ;)

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I've always loved the look of a nicely done Planted Aquarium.

But once you look at what's involved. Like lighting, co2, special substrates. I always say to myself "Why f#*%ing bother?" I just start another reef tank. ;)
Same could be said for reef tank when coming from freshwater :)

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Anybody know where to get a large piece of driftwod?
e914a5a90a0024aae1ef7c4bdbee27f4.jpg

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
Discus are nice, I heard they prefer ro water as well :). How about just keep one arrowana, this fish grow over a foot long, very nice and they can interact with people too