anyone have this problem-returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckm

On only one of my return lines from the refugium/sump i am having very fine air bubbles going into the display tank.  it is not coming from the sump, there are no bubbles by the time water flow gets to that area of the sump and the intake are 5" below water line.  I'm thinking maybe it is drawing it in from somewhere before it hits the loc-line returns. i can find any fluid leaks. And can't hear any air leaks.....
It's really p*#$ing me off!? :mad:
Any suggestions or experince with this??? :-[

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Even though you are not seeing leaks, it does not mean there aren't any. When water rushes past the leak, it draws air into the line...much like an air brush. If you block your returns, I am sure the leak will appear.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Re: Re: anyone have this problem-returns

Petercar link said:
Just put yur hand in fromt of the returns for a few secs  The go follow yur returns to the pump and looks for a drip

+1 on that. It would be a minute size hole, need to create back pressure to push the water through unlike a back siphon hole that is larger and does not take a much pressure to allow water through.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
One additional thing, if this is an old set up and the bubbles just started, you may have developed a weak spot in a connection, back pressure could make it worse, so you might want an extra towell around ;)

chuckm

i tried blocking the return and did not ssee any leaks, and checked for moisture on the lines, and nothing i will try again tomorrow and hold it longer

and no i don't have a hole for back sipon, it just drains back into the sump...

thanks for all the suggestions thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.