Apex Issues - Tripping Gfi

hark

I have been having issues where every morning my GFI trips on the receptacle (not on the fuse panel, which is also GFI protected circuit) and I get alarms that cannot connect to fusion.

I thought originally it was a short, so I replaced my heaters thinking they were the likely cause. happened again, so I replaced the GFI receptacle. happened again.

anger is setting in by this point.....

today I logged into apex just to see what is going on around the time of the issue. it looks to start at 9:30 am from the apex alerts so I checked things on a schedule. the only thing that I can see starting at 930am and exactly at that time is my atinic blue lights.
the spike in amps to 97 has to be a mistake I would think?

The spike in amp_3 starts right at 9:30am exactly, the spike in AMP_5 starts right at 9:30am exactly and the start of the drop in temperature is at 9:30.

the weird part is though that I have had WAYYYY more plugged into the same outlet at one time, another MAG 700 pump, more heaters, etc and never had issues with power overload so I wonder if maybe there is something at atinic startup?

I don't think my apex is misbehaving it is just telling me what it see's. the fact that it starts right at 9:30 and by 10am I am getting alerts from apex it cannot connect likely means that it fired the first keep alive just before 9:30, the next one came at 9;45 and failed - it then waits 15 minutes and reports it cannot connect to fusion which is what I am getting on my phone.

looking for suggestions.

Attachments

• atinic.PNG
    atinic.PNG
    20.7 KB · Views: 137
  • temp.PNG
    temp.PNG
    21.6 KB · Views: 161

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
A GFCI trips when there is a ground fault.
A breaker trips when there is a current overload.

You can trip a gfci without tripping a breaker.

Deep dive into what comes on at that time and remove it from the equation. It may not be the equiptment. It could be the individual outlet on the Apex.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

hark

I am leaning right now towards a short of some kind in the atinic led. I am not sure of the circuitry, but something at 930 has to be the source which right now is atinic lights.

I am going to do some experiments tonight and see

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I have been having issues where every morning my GFI trips on the receptacle (not on the fuse panel, which is also GFI protected circuit) and I get alarms that cannot connect to fusion.

I thought originally it was a short, so I replaced my heaters thinking they were the likely cause. happened again, so I replaced the GFI receptacle. happened again.

anger is setting in by this point.....

today I logged into apex just to see what is going on around the time of the issue. it looks to start at 9:30 am from the apex alerts so I checked things on a schedule. the only thing that I can see starting at 930am and exactly at that time is my atinic blue lights.
the spike in amps to 97 has to be a mistake I would think?

The spike in amp_3 starts right at 9:30am exactly, the spike in AMP_5 starts right at 9:30am exactly and the start of the drop in temperature is at 9:30.

the weird part is though that I have had WAYYYY more plugged into the same outlet at one time, another MAG 700 pump, more heaters, etc and never had issues with power overload so I wonder if maybe there is something at atinic startup?

I don't think my apex is misbehaving it is just telling me what it see's. the fact that it starts right at 9:30 and by 10am I am getting alerts from apex it cannot connect likely means that it fired the first keep alive just before 9:30, the next one came at 9;45 and failed - it then waits 15 minutes and reports it cannot connect to fusion which is what I am getting on my phone.

looking for suggestions.
You shouldn't feed a gfci from a gfci which it sounds like you are doing from your first statement.

hark

You shouldn't feed a gfci from a gfci which it sounds like you are doing from your first statement.

I agree, the electrical panel is GFCI protected and there is also a second protected receptacle in the fish room. I understand this is added complexity and overdone, but to be honest this isn't my issue right now as it has been working this way for years.

I am pretty confident the surge In amp's has to be coming from the atinics. I shut them off through the apex and things went smooth this morning, power distributed normally and no trip. I intend now to try to isolate whether it is the apex EB8 receptacle or the actual light that is causing the issue buy turning them on one by one through the morning and plugging something different into that receptacle.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
You can easily test it by unplugging the actinic light and manually turn the outlet from Auto to On in fusion. If the issue is with the Apex, it will still trip. If not, then there is a grounding issue with the light

hark

You can easily test it by unplugging the actinic light and manually turn the outlet from Auto to On in fusion. If the issue is with the Apex, it will still trip. If not, then there is a grounding issue with the light

see that's the issue, I thought so too but it only seemed to happen when the lights first come on in the morning. I don't know the circuitry, I wonder if there is a capacitor or something that is not holding the charge right.