Apex Pmk

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
I think it's a pretty cool toy and if you have the money and the desire to get one then I suggest you do. But I've also recently heard that sometimes toys can give you a false sense of security and there is nothing that can prevent a system crashing.

Kman

Super Active Member
I would probably try it out. It is hard to tell how much I would trust it though. I would still do my daily visual checks and use it as an extra way of checking things.
You could use it for frags that you are going to place into their new home. You could place the rock in the future location and run the graph over the next day or so. If the light levels are good you could the glue the frag in place. It will take out some of the guess work.

You would have to keep it clean all the time. I am sure things will grow on the sensor and that would effect the accuracy. For me I would probably trust it as much as my conductivity probe. I would use it as a general guide line on PAR, but it would not be my first line of defence so to speak. Nothing beats visually watching your tank.

The price I would be shocked if it was not crazy.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
That's not terrible. You're going to pay that for a par meter anyways

Sony Xperia Z3

The only "budget" par meter I know of is the seneye. Have read several reviews and people are generally very happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kman

Super Active Member
That is a way better price then I though it would be. That is not bad.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I will be getting one...as soon as financials are looking better. There are pluses and negatives to it, however Neptune has done a great job over all. All sensors will need to be cleaned. Wireless would be nice, but then you risk a battery in your tank. I would use it to work with my dimmable lighting. It would be great to track the decline of T5 bulbs over time as well. One thing I would like to see is a portable option somehow so that others who may not be able to afford a full apex can still get a read from a friend with one. Limiting this to only Apex users is a slight downfall, but a good business decision.

Kman

Super Active Member
I will be getting one...as soon as financials are looking better. There are pluses and negatives to it, however Neptune has done a great job over all. All sensors will need to be cleaned. Wireless would be nice, but then you risk a battery in your tank. I would use it to work with my dimmable lighting. It would be great to track the decline of T5 bulbs over time as well. One thing I would like to see is a portable option somehow so that others who may not be able to afford a full apex can still get a read from a friend with one. Limiting this to only Apex users is a slight downfall, but a good business decision.

I think T5 and MH would benefit tracking of bulbs over time for sure. It would give you a heads up on bulb replacement. I am sure it will work well as I find with Neptune products.

hark

I have the apex pmk par meter. It is really good but once you have a sense of all the ranges for your lights it is overkill. I suppose if you run t5 or mh it will also alert you to why you should consider changing bulbs.

Would there be any interest in renting mine out for those of you who have an apex? Keep it for a month then return it in the same condition you got it sort of approach. I won't rent it out for free of course given it is a 400 dollar purchase and I inherit all the risk loaning it out, but I'm not sure yet what I would charge for it need to see if there is interest first.

Nighthawk26

For those running LED's this sensor has some deficiencies not everyone is aware of. It's been quietly hinted at through Apogee and of course now they have a new sensor out, they are basically full disclosure on it.

Be aware of the +/- readings, and what makes it harder is different spectrums have different values. There can be much wider swings than people are aware of.

http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/quantum/

Food for thought.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
I have the apex pmk par meter. It is really good but once you have a sense of all the ranges for your lights it is overkill. I suppose if you run t5 or mh it will also alert you to why you should consider changing bulbs.

Would there be any interest in renting mine out for those of you who have an apex? Keep it for a month then return it in the same condition you got it sort of approach. I won't rent it out for free of course given it is a 400 dollar purchase and I inherit all the risk loaning it out, but I'm not sure yet what I would charge for it need to see if there is interest first.
I would also be willing to do the same with my Apogee Quantum available for non Apex users.

Does anyone know what The Coral Reef Shop charges to rent theirs? I would do it for frags...