Apex Salinity Spiking

Kyle1970

I’ve been using Apex to monitor my salinity level.

What causes the probe to register a spike in salinity? Nothing was happening at the time.
I’ve double checked with a refractometer instead of trying to chase.

80gal total water.

0daa8e1eeba08d62db4ec95d2be6b9d4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyle1970

Shook. No help
Pulled probe, put in different location. No go.

Pulled the probe. Cleaned. Put in RO water. Got a zero reading. Then back into the sump, back to a 33.4 reading.
I’m ok with that.

BRS video says to keep probe away from any other electric pieces. Also to route wiring differently then everything else. And to mount probe on an angle.

see how this goes!

Painter Steve

Donor
Mine worked for 1.5 years but always check to confirm with refractor during water changes. When I swapped things over to my new tank I tried to calibrate it and everything look good for 2 days then the salinity dropped to 28.1 so rechecked with refractor and the probe was off. Now I'm just using the 28.1 for a guide and seems to be holding strong. Had this probe for over 2 years now.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Just do a quick Google search on Apex salinity probe issues. The salinity probes are very susceptible to just about everything. Some people never perfect it.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

Copperkills

I had my probe mounted close to my heater. the probe measures SG in ppt. Salinity is effected by temp. I used to see temp fluctuations as well and noticed it was around the time my 400W heater kicked on. I’m sure it increases the temp around the heater greatly and if your probe is close and downstream of the heated water it may show a change in your probe reading for a moment. I moved my probe to an area of high flow, away from heater and away from any dosing lines. I hold steady at 31.7.

Kyle1970

Ok. Good to know.
Currently probe is in the sump section along with heater. I will see if I can move it somewhere else.
It seems to hold steady for a while then takes off one way or the other.
I know better then trying to chase salinity.